Chlostridium difficile infectiion...

by titch 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• titch
    titch

I suppose that this question falls under the topic of "Personal Experiences." So, I have a question for the members of the Site: Has anyone had any experience with a malady called "Chlostridium Dificille Infection"? Either yourself personally, or a relative or a friend? If so, what did you do to treat it, and was the treatment successful? Thanks for your input and comments. (If you've ever had the condition, then you know what it is. Or, you can do an Internet search on the condition, and find out what it is, if you have NOT had the condition)

Titch

• kneehighmiah
    kneehighmiah

I had it 2 years ago. Cleared up with an antibiotic called vancomycin. c diff is no fun. They are now using stool transplants for people with resistant c diff. Do not attempt to fight it alone. It is a serious infection and can kill you.

• breakfast of champions
  • titch
    titch

Once again, to kneehighmiah: May I ask, what dosage of Vancomycin did you take? And, was it in pill form, or liqid form? The liquid form of Vancomycin that I was prescribed, I had to take one-half teaspoon, 3 times per day, for a total of 10 days. Actually, I was given, in the bottle, more than what I actually needed. I took the prescribed dosage as instructed, and then gradually finished off the bottle over a couple of weeks, just to be on the "safe side." So, was your regimen of Vancomycin successfuly in making it go away, and stay away? Thanks for your input.

Titch.

• kneehighmiah
    kneehighmiah

I took the pills 3x a day for I believe 10-14 days. Mines cleared up. However it is not uncommon for the disease to come back. Has your c diff cleared up, or are you still having symptoms?

• talesin
    talesin

My friend had c. diff last year. He had to be hospitalized and on IV antibiotics. He was recovering from brain cancer at the time, though, and his system was already weak. By the time he was diagnosed, he was close to kidney failure, but the good news is, that after a few months of dialysis, he recovered, and all is well.

One thing we learned to be aware of, is that it can recur. It's important to be very aware of how one is feeling, even after the infection seems to have been cured. Sometimes it comes back.

Good luck with it, it's bad stuff~!

xo

tal

• St George of England
    St George of England

Caught it in hospital some years ago, not pleasant.

Was given CEFUROXINE plus another antibiotic the name of which escapes me. These also have side effects.

I still have to be careful with my diet, especially in the fruit department and take LOPERAMIDE as required.

George

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Can be serious when not attended to medically, my mother had it after taking some antibiotics.

She and my father thought it was just a severe case of diarrhea, things got so bad she was finally taken to a hospital

but it was too late possibly from the doctors treating her mis-diagnosed her illness.

She unfortunately died on the third morning of being admitted.

I should add that she was 74 yrs. old at the time and had illnesses that added toward the problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clostridium_difficile_colitis

• AlwaysBusy
    AlwaysBusy

Wow @ Finkelstein ~ I'm so sorry.

My 33 yr old son just recovered from it. My son had a fatty tumor (grapefruit-sized) removed from his lower back. After his surgery, he was put on a strong dose of antibiotics. He then contracted C Diff. He was put on one round of antibiotics, then on a second round as the first didn't help. He was told that he would have to recieve a stool transplant if the second round of anti-bio didn't work. He went back to the doc last week and was told that he is doing well, no need for additional treatment.

I don't know the names of the anti-bios, but will ask him and post it later.

Anyway, Take Care,

AB

• Gregor
    Gregor

My wife had to take an atomic bomb series of anti-biotics for a kidney infection. Her Doc. told her to eat a pro-biotic yogurt before during and after. She did and had no problems.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit