Sleep Paralysis - YOUR EXPERIENCES

by Black Man 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Unfortunately these experience whether do to medical or anxiety, cause many JWs to believe in Demons and this only re enforces it.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Demons LOVE Waffle House!!

DD

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

my brother had sleep paralysis a few times i've had a couple of lucid dreams.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

I had lots of problems with sleep paralysis and it scared the crap out of me for years. One way to combat sleep paralysis is to sleep on your SIDE, not your back, most sleep paralysis episodes happen when on your back. The term 'nightmare' is probably related to old Scandanavian/Germanic 'mare" which was a hag who rides on people's chest as they sleep (just wanted to share that piece of trivia).

• 20yearfader
    20yearfader

i use to get those a lot when i was a kid an active jw. Once i came home an fell alsleep on the couch and just dozing off a fake tree when had in the living room a face appeared in it when i saw it i was shocked tried to get up an i saw a translucent blob dart to me an i couldnt move speak,my father was upstairs an i tried calling his name this is before i tried saying jehovah's name

anyway the blob released me an it made a hissing noise as it darted around the corner of the livingroom scared the living shat out of me.

The next time i remember it was hot in mid summer i fell alsleep on my bed with the window fan blowing an i had a feeling something was in the room i tried to get up an couldn't the bed in my mind starting shaking and what ever i was dreaming about darted into the fan also scaring the me half to death.

Once i left the jw religion,i met my wife we moved into an arpartment complex and i swear every night i experienced a sleep paralysis episode unless i drunk heavily before going to bed i almost lost my mind insanity runs strong in my family.

It was only by coming here and finding out what it was that it stopped because i truly was still brain washed that it was a demonic attack

• rocketman
    rocketman

I used to experience it pretty often - that feeling of being partly awake, but unable to move. I'd try to come up with some way to move an extremity - kick my foot or move a hand, but I had to work at it, and at times I would be able to 'break' the paralysis.

In recent years, I seem to experience it less often. The only factor, besides getting older, that has changed for me is that I moved to a new house. Since then, I experience it less. I also experience less of a thing I used to call "Flying", where I'd dream that I was flying around the house, and often doing so to check the front and back doors for intruders. The sensation of flying actually seemed enjoyable, and after a while, I sort of 'knew' that I was in that dream-state while it was happening. It was like 'hey, I'm flying in my sleep again - this is cool'.

I'm not sure whether the two were related, or were the result of taking sleep aids. But I still take sleep aids (usually Melatonin); even so I now seem to experience these sensations less frequently.

• krejames
    krejames

I went through a phase of having these episodes . Very scary. I thought I was possessed. I would try and move and I couldnt. I would try and say "Jehovah" but my mouth couldn't move but still I could hear a demonic voice saying "Jehovah" And I thought the voice was mine. For some reason it would be accompanied by a buzzing like a wasp. No wonder people think they're being attacked by demons!

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

I've experienced SP pretty much all my life. I also dream very vividly almost all the time. Sometimes i have lucid dreams in which I act as an explorer of what is possible. I can confirm that I dream in vivid color. I can feel acute pain in dreams that is not present when I awake. I can be free of pain even though going to sleep and waking up I might actually have a particular pain. I can see incredible detail in objects - things can seem more vivid than real life. Examining the veins of leaves of trees seems to be one I do often. I can speak foreign languages fluently in some dreams (although I suspect that it's probably some words I know combined with a fluent form of jibberish). I compose or hear some amazing music in dreams, although I have to really write down a few motifs soon after waking to capture any of it. I can smell things in dreams - smells that are not possible to have been present in the environment in which I was sleeping. People in my dreams can surprise me by things they say - for instance asking me a question to which I do not know the answer - and then they tell me the answer (but how can that be if everything is generated in my own brain?). Of course sometimes I can fly or jump long distances too. Those dreams are awesome when I can get a good measure of control over them.

On the original topic I get regular sleep paralysis and it never ceases to completely freak me out. I often think I might never get out of it. It also happens several levels deep "Inception" style. I get out of my sleep paraysis only to find myself being paralized in another dream. Those are the worst because I have no idea how many levels I might have to go through to get out. 3 is the maximum I can recall, but even after 2 you think it's going to go on forever. I think I see the room around me in perfect detail, but sometimes I might hear a person coming up the stairs and I can do nothing about it in my frozen state. Those are really bad.

Interestingly I have for a very long time had repeating fream about seeing strange phenomina in the sky. Things start off fairly normal, and then spacecraft or unidentified object appear, or distant brilliant galaxies appear to close in on the earth. I think Matt 24:29,30 got deeply lodged in subconscious a long time ago.

For all the scary stuff I wouldn't trade my dreams for anything. It's like a whole other existence at night that I look forward to.

FG

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Almost 40 years ago a friend of ours had experience sleep paralysis and he and his wife thought it was demons. Why because the night before their child brought home a fall picture of a pumpkin and a cat. The cat wasn't even black but red and green in color. So they called the elders and the elders and the parents concluded it was the picture that cause him to experience sleep paralysis. You know how those pesty demons just love kids pictures from school. So the made sure the picture was burned and then they all prayed together. The child got in trouble for bringing in demons into the home and everything was OK then on. Thanks for bringing up these silly memories of being in the cult. Sill Totally ADD

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Grandmother used to talk openly with us about how the "demons" used to hold her down and she would fight and wrestle but to no avail. Only years later did I realize that she suffered from sleep paralysis and whatever "demons" she experienced were in her mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit