Sleep Paralysis - YOUR EXPERIENCES

by Black Man 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Man
    Black Man

So what have been your experiences with Sleep Paralysis? This has interested me recently as I used to have sleep paralysis quite often years ago.

• designs
    designs

In my drinking years things got pretty trippy..

• talesin
    talesin

I had a flashback once when I was sleep-paralyzed (which I hate, and used to happen to me often).

I was floating on the ceiling, observing what was being done to me on the bed below. It was very strange because at the time I was in my 30s, and the flashback related to an incident which happened when I was about 7 or 8.

Dunno if that was astral projection?

t

• undercover
    undercover

Back when I was an active JW, I had several experiences. I'd wake up from a bad dream, and couldn't move. I wasn't completely awake, but aware of my surroundings and realize I couldn't move. It was like something was sitting on my chest, and I'd try to roll over, push up, or sit up and couldn't move. And I couldn't speak. I'd try to say something and nothing would come out. As a brain dead JW, I thought it was a demonic attack. I would try my best to follow the WTS advice... say, "Jehovah Jehovah" over and over, but I couldn't even squeek a noise out. Even though panic was setting in, the muscles started slowly working and I was able to grunt and trash a little. Then I'd finally come around and fully awake and get motor/voice control back and sit up in a sweat, breathing hard.

Once I realized the WTS was not the one true organization of Jehovah, and accepted the fact that there are no demons to attack me, I never experienced another one. I've come to accept it as a sympton of anxiety brought on by fear of not living up to standards as set up by WTS/JWs. Now that I'm free and clear of their control, that anxiety is no longer present.

• blondie
    blondie

Usually experienced at meetings and assemblies.........

• talesin
    talesin

Sleep paralysis is very common, and happens when coming out of REM mode (if I remember correctly). It is a 'normal' state.

Astral projection is a 'practice' and a new-age type thing that Falun Gong (sp?) and other fringe groups believe is possible - travelling on an astral plane to other physical locations. At least that is my understanding of AP, which is not scientific nor proven.

tal

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I'd wake up from a bad dream, and couldn't move. I wasn't completely awake, but aware of my surroundings and realize I couldn't move. It was like something was sitting on my chest

I've had that almost identical experience on a couple of occasions. Half-asleep, but aware of my surroundings, feeling like something was on top of me. I even thought I heard whispers, and could see shadows in the room. Like you, I just chalked it up to the fear of demons instilled in me by the JW religion.

• feelnozeal
    feelnozeal

I get sleep paralysis when extremely exhausted.

Although it's scary, I never considered it a demon attack even when I was an active JW.

The basic science is half your brain is asleep (that which controls motor functions) but the other half is awake.

What are people's experience that they would fear a demon attack?

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

I had sleep paralysis quite often during my twenties......maybe it was all that nasty MD 20/20 I drunk..

Ex-husband could astral project at will...often with Dio playing in the background (no drink or drugs involved).

• kneehighmiah
    kneehighmiah

I used to get this when taking tramAdol. I don't get it anymore when I take the drug. My body must be used to it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit