Why doesn't the GB make field service optional for certain congregation members only similar to the Mormons?

by yadda yadda 2 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

In Luke 10 Jesus only appointed and sent 70 disciples out peaching, not all of his disciples.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Eph 4v11 says Christ gave some as ......

So it would be easy to have some "refinement" along the lines you outline Yadda. And I think they are laying the groundwork by using the "Request a Bible Study" facility, both on Tracts and the Website.

Then they can send along experienced recruiters, thus maybe getting a better chance of suckering someone else in as a regular donator.

The Inept JW, of which there are very many when it comes to F.S, the truly disinterestd in recruiting, (as I was, I rarely called back), and the totally nutty JW's are thus removed from direct contact with the Public. This will help with P.R. and the impression that JW.Org is mainstream (ish).

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

All to often when you get into the discussions of doubts about JWs being THE one true religion, the conversation ends with:

But who else is doing the preaching of the Good News as Jesus commanded (Matt 24.14)?

How would they be unique if they looked like any other religion?

Plus, door-to-door is "busy work". It makes the mind-numbed JW think they are really doing something special.

Doc

• Justnowout
    Justnowout

I have to say, normally i fall into the "no how no way" crowd when it comes to these types of radical changes....

on this one im saying "maybe".

They have started pushing the public carts, they have the web site, they have the streaming tv crap.... I dont know. Its possible.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

I think the door to door work is on its way out.

As far as all the historical literature quotations as to what they have believed to this point, they are irrelevant.

The rank and file will accept any 'new teachings' from the Society at any time. They will just spin it as 'new light'. The rank and file will eat it up and see the change as yet another sign of the Great Tribulation.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

We all know that the door to door work is unbelievably inefficient and largely ineffective at getting new recruits in developed countries. We also know the reason for turning in slips each month is for the elders to assess which individuals are "spiritual" (in other words fully with the cult) and which are "weak".

I think the overall reason for continuing field service as we know it is to: 1) make a claim of being unique (not exactly true but whatever), 2) to reinforce an us vs them sort of attitude since most folks hate JWs coming to their doors, and 3) provide an easy method to assess whether or not men are committed enough to give them local leadership positions.

You could certainly figure out another way to accomplish #3, but #1 & 2 are much harder. You'd have to replace field service with an unequally uncomfortable task and I can't think of anything more uncomfortable than going to a strangers hous and peddling religion. And that's way the door to door work will not go away. Change? Yes, it already is changing. Tract campaigns, using the WTS website, etc. Go away? Not in my lifetime.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I commented on the wrong thread,sorry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit