Why doesn't the GB make field service optional for certain congregation members only similar to the Mormons?

by yadda yadda 2 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Ephesians 4:11 makes for a strong case that not every member of the congregation should have to go door-to-door.

"So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers,.."

This shows that different members of the first century congregations served different ministerial functions. So why don't the JW's say that field service is no longer compulsory for all congregation members, only for those who feel a calling for it per Eph 4:11....

The Mormons sort of do this with their young men and women 'elders' doing 2 years voluntary, genuinely full-time service (these Mormons boys put in some BIG hours 6 days a week and have their meals provided for them, etc!), riding around on their bicycles in the local communities. After their two year stint they have served their time, they go home, and then just go to University, get jobs, etc, ie, just go and live normal Mormons lives.

JW's could come up with their own version of this. For example, why don't they just leave the door to door work to the 'pioneers' only and arrange for the congregation to support the pioneers practically through providing lunches, dinners, accommodation etc, just like the Mormons do?

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Yes they are working on this right now. They are implementing a new pioneer arrangement and the new category of "Basic Pioneer" (10 hrs a month) is being developed. If this is successful, they will have "Basic Publishers" that don't go out at all. The objective is not to have any inactive. By eliminating the word, inactive, out of the JW vocabulary, and replacing it with another word would work. Then everyone wins, and the Mormons will want to become one of us.

• DaleRivers
    DaleRivers

Because it would be anathema to them to lose what they see as their uniqueness. Many beliefs/practices of JW (no birthdays,no beards, no flag salute) were instituted by Rutherford to make JW different from other Christian religions. They take great pride that their beliefs/practices keep them totally separate from 'Babylon the Great':no infant baptisms like the Catholics, no ordination of women like the Episcopalians,no interfaith services, no preaching about hellfire like the Baptists, the list goes on.

• All for show
    All for show

i totally agree... It will never happen.

ive always eaten the birthday cake and given my friends gifts. I give my mom mother day cards too. I never was a JW at heart I guess

• Listener
    Listener

They started out as a publishing company and have made huge sums of money by having all JWs sell their publications. They've worked very hard at selling this obligation to their followers that they can't back out now.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

What prompted me to start this thread was reading another current thread that a GB member asked everyone at the convention to raise their hands who likes getting up early on a Saturday morning to go door to door and only about a third did, with the GB member saying he was surprised even that many raised their hand.

Let's face it, it's got to be one of the things that really puts people off joining the religion. I've heard many people say they like the JW's but could never go door to door.

And now that the congregation has pledged to give a minimum donation per month, it doesn't matter a jot how much literature is placed. I mean how much of what JW's put into the contribution box is only from how much they collect placing literature anyway? JW's will still make contributions whether or not they receive any donations. That means the importance of the door to door work as a revenue collecting mechanism for the Society is nearing redundancy, especially now that their new online TV station is starting.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"I do believe you have it ! " Prof Higgins in My fair Lady.

I reckon you are right Yadda Yadda, as others have said above, the only problem old time Elders will have is assesing someone's "spirituality" , that was always based upon F.S hours, a flawed method we know, but they will have to find an alternative. "Inactive" will have to go.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

By George, you've got it, "The rain in Spain, doesn't stop Field Service in the Plains"

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

One of the totally extra-biblical requirements for WT baptism is to be a house to house witness.

In the July 1, 1995 issue of the Watchtower, in an article on baptism, under the subheading of "Requirements", it says:

"It is expected of the dedicated one …will fully bear his responsibilities as a minister, a preacher in the field service from house to house, and otherwise participate fully in the activities of the New World Society, to advance the proclamation of the Kingdom and uphold the true worship of Jehovah. The dedicated one must be a house-to-house witness as was Christ Jesus and the apostles to the extent of his ability..."

• blondie
    blondie

*** w57 2/15 p. 114 par. 4 How Jehovah’s Witnesses View Their Ministry ***

Being one of Jehovah’s witnesses means more than saying, ‘I am one of Jehovah’s witnesses.’ Are you witnessing? Regularly? All physically able have the responsibility to preach publicly and from house to house, as did Jesus, and in addition take advantage of all opportunities to witness to friends, neighbors, etc., while the physically infirm are privileged to witness to visitors, write letters, make telephone calls, and in other ways share in giving the mighty witness. Without exception each witness of Jehovah is aware of his obligations in this regard, as set out in Ezekiel 3:17-21. If one does not witness, he is not one of Jehovah’s witnesses. To call ourselves witnesses of Jehovah and then to refrain from witnessing, which is ministering, would be taking Jehovah’s name in a vain or worthless way. Never may that happen, and it will not so long as a proper view of the ministry is maintained.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit