Still no word on Will and Bonnie Gorham?

by humbled 12 Replies latest jw friends

• humbled
    humbled

Some time ago this couple who had been in the circuit work disappeared--Was this the greatest ever fade or what?

They were remarkable for kindness and good sense. And humility. She was born-in, he was not. He was college educated, an ex-Catholic.

Anyone know if they are quietly doing well? I hope so.

Maeve

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Where did they serve?

And, when?

Doc

• Magnum
    Magnum

I'd like to know, too, but I've never heard of them. Were they in the U.S.? About how old were they? You say they disappeared... do you think they faded or just quit cold turkey? Please give us more info about them. I'd love to know whether a couple like that learned TTATT or just said to hell with it.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

There are millions of Witnesses around the world.

• humbled
    humbled

Sorry--I was away for a while.

Doc and Magnum,

Will Gorham was the Circuit overseer round about Northwest Arkansas here in the U.S. It was around 2003-2006 as best I recall when he and Bonnie were here.

He and she both were quiet. She had a gift with the little children--they drew pictures for her all the time. I believe she would rather have talked to them than a bunch of pioneer sisters. they were slight, spare people. Not at all flashy Her father had been an elder for a long time I believe. Will had graduated Notre Dame or some other reputable Catholic University--again I am not certain. I do know he had been raised Catholic. My guess is that he would have been 50-60, herself younger. I think they came from the Midwest and eastern part of the U.S.

I have looked back often--especially right now--and I wonder if they had some inkling of the road they were treading was crooked. When I first had to talk to someone about the problem of reading and thinking about bible questions, it was Will Gorham I talked to first(and another Brother also in the room,of course).

Even more now than then I am moved by the respect he showed to me. I was no one he knew. A woman janitor at the time dressed for work in ill-fitting clothes who had a spotty service record and an unbelieving mate. He did not speak in a condescending or discouraging manner. He used no "JW speak" in the convesation. He was honest and he encouraged me to continue reading and to address the Brooklynn brothers if my search warranted it. I went out with in service with Bonnie. They were well matched, I think. she was not pushy--but I thought she was sad.

I wish I knew more.

Some people are hard to forget. Another overseer came at the time that things had come to a head for me. None of the elders and certainly not the new overseer treated me with the dignity and honest freedom that Will Gorham had. I just wish I knew they were okay. They were kind to me in the way that counts.

Maeve

BOTR--good to hear from you--Yep--Millions of JWs every where. Just curious if these two have been seen or heard from.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Maeve:

There are several Will Gorhams on Facebook.

CC

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

They sound like a really nice couple. Even though the org is all one big lie, a great CO and wife can be a really nice thing. I have a few that I remember fondly. I am just curious how you know that they faded. After a CO is transferred to another circuit you lose track of them. There are tons of circuits in the US.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Yes, it is true, there were some real gems.

It is also sad that so many who definitely did not belong were taken in and held captive by this corrupt organisation and its poisonous message.

• stillin
    stillin

I live in the first circuit where Will served as a CO. He was still single but found his wife here in this circuit.

Yes, he was exceptional in his humanity and ability to feel like a close friend.

• humbled
    humbled

I am not certain that they have faded, in fact.

I am recalling a thread that was canvasing among us to find who knew whom of former COs--something like that. And no on had any idea of the whereabouts of this couple--Even though some did comment on their consistent decent and mindful interactions with the R&F. Yes, stillin and Fernando, they were fine, weren't they?

And Facebook, CoCo ? I don't have an account. But my son does--and he liked them too... I'll check it out.

Thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit