The org uses "Emotional entrapment and manipulation" rather than factual substance....

by stuckinarut2 16 Replies latest jw friends

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Have you noticed just how much the org is now appealing to "emotions" rather than facts?

We used to be told that worshiping god has an element of emotion involved of course, but that the primary motivation should be logical truth. Now though, they seem to be highlighting the "fluff" rather than the substance!

That latest music video on the tv.jw.org clip towards the end is proof of that. "The best way of life" showing shiny happy people in "the truth".... If that is not an emotional appeal, then I don't know what is!

Doesn't Romans 12:2 tell witnesses to "prove" the truth to themselves? Now it's more like "nah...it FEELS good to be a JW...so just stay in the organisation"

• done4good
    done4good

That is precisely what happens when one's beliefs are no longer logically defensible.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

They have always used propaganda and emotional appeal. We just did not realize it. We hadn't been given enough information to know any better. All we "knew" was Christendoms hypocrisy and emotionalism, namely, "Jesus Saves, live a good life!!" Compared to that emotionalism, JWism looked more logical and reasonable. The emotional appeals were very subtle.

I think in the last 5 years or so, there has been a very tangible change. The ORG is being forced by time to appeal to emotion even more. There is NOTHING logical left, at least not for those who know TTATT. Once you go down the rabbit hole and learn the facts about their revisionist history, misquotes, quote mining, outright lies, pedophile cover-ups, the totally non-magical GB, everything changes.

Once you see the Wizard, you can never go back. You realize that its all emotionally charged nonsense, sprinkled with what appears to be logic and reason. The only reason we felt that way was because we were supplied with just enough information to lead us to that conclusion. In other words, we were lied to. Once you strip the GB of their powers of prognostication, you actually see them! They are tired old men, forced into the limelight in an effort to save face.

They are going to reap what they have sown, one way or the other. Ultimately, there is no escape for them.

DD

• Yondaime
    Yondaime

At the last regional convention I served as an attendant at Stanley Theater, and when they played the resurrection video a sister fainted. She was NOT small, so me and three other brothers had to carry her to the first aid booth in the lobby.

The level of emotional control the GB has on people in the cult is unreal.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

You have a PM, Yondaime.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Doesn't Romans 12:2 tell witnesses to "prove" the truth to themselves?

One of my favourite scriptures. Used to use it often in service. Wish my family would apply it to themselves.

I think in the last 5 years or so, there has been a very tangible change. The ORG is being forced by time to appeal to emotion even more. There is NOTHING logical left, at least not for those who know TTATT.

They KNOWthey're wrong, and that they haven't a clue what to teach anymore. That being the case, how else can you keep people in?

• Zordino
    Zordino

They have people getting all teary eyed or outright crying at Convention drama's and watching certain video's on Jw.org. They have no substance so they really need to push the fluffy stuff. This will become a constant feature along with the singing, dancing, etc. I could just see it now.... JW's The Musical starring the GB... and featuring the dancing elderette's.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Since when has any religion ever been based on 'facts'?

All religion is ultimately just the hope of a hereafter, of something beyond this life, of the 'real life' to come.

And the hope of seeing your dead loved ones again.

Is there anything more emotional than that?

Hope springs eternal.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I have noticed when I have been able to have a reasonably long conversation with a JW, shown them a number of the errors, that they always in the end fall back on pure emotion as the reason they are in the religion.

Facts, Truth, Doctrine, Personal Integrity, all of these simply do not matter to them, it just feels right to them, and that is good enough for them.

The ones running the show at JW HQ have realised they can no longer appeal to anyone on a rational level, emotional exploitation is all they have left, and that will attract, and retain, the non-thinking, easily donating "Cher Ching" kind of member they want.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

This is what the Soviet Union did in their propaganda too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit