Pedophilia: A Disorder, Not a Crime (NYTimes)

by NewYork44M 73 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• cofty
    cofty

Some people find it genuinely impossible to have a rational discussion about "taboo" subjects. They have a visceral reaction.

An American prof recently tried it with a range of topics as a social experiment. A percentage of his class would quickly get angry and some would walk out.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Have a reference for that, Cofty? I would be interested. It's a great topic of discussion in itself.

Just having an academic discussion about something seems to feel like 'condoning' to some people.

I also think that if a topic violates someone's previous opinions or worldview it feels personally threatening.

• cofty
    cofty

I wish I could find the reference. It was around the time Dawkins was being attacked for his comments on the same topic. I think it was on his blog or website. The prof started introducing a variety of taboo topics for serious discussion and observed how a percentage of the class would become angry or upset even at the idea of discussing it.

I have noticed that when these sort of things come up on JWN some posters seem intent on misrepresenting the point being made and questioning the motives of those who are willing to investigate the topic.

Edit - Just found it.

"Are There Emotional No-Go Areas Where Logic Dare Not Show It's Face?"

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Thanks for the reference. It was an interesting read. Strong emotions that shut down further inquiry seems to happen a lot in politics, as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit