Pedophilia: A Disorder, Not a Crime (NYTimes)

by NewYork44M 73 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

The New York Times has this Op-Ed piece in today's paper:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/06/opinion/pedophilia-a-disorder-not-a-crime.html?ref=opinion

I found it rather disturbing. If you take at face value what is suggested, I can see how organizations like the Watchtower become a popular hiding spot for pedophiles.

• blondie
    blondie

So will rape become a disorder, not a crime?

• sparky1
    sparky1

http://reason.com/archives/2002/08/01/sins-of-the-fathers

I prefer Thomas Szasz' take on Pedophilia. It is NOT A DISEASE it is a CRIME.

(Warning: Some graphic information presented in this article.)

• DJS
    DJS

Please read the article. The author indicates that acting on, sexually molesting children, is a crime. The underlying attraction is not. I find nothing disturbing about this article.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Many times I have felt like robbing a bank. I didn't because I stopped myself.

Many times I have felt like killing my brother because he is an idiot. I didn't because I stopped myself.

Many times I have felt like driving 100 miles per hour. I didn't because I stopped myself.

Many times I have seen a beautiful woman and desired to have sex with her. I didn't because I stopped myself.

Many times I have wanted to get dead drunk because life is hard. I don't because I stop myself.

All humans at all times have urges that are socially and morally unacceptable. To take human behavior and 'medicalize' it is irresponsible and removes the responsibilty for behavior from a 'person' and assigns it to a 'disorder'.

( I do agree with the writer of the article that a person wanting help for his urges toward children should be able to get that help without being viewed as a criminal if he has not acted on those urges.)

• flipper
    flipper

There is so much f----ed up information in this article , and like New York 44M says, " I can see how organizations like the Watchtower become a popular hiding spot for pedophiles. " Exactly. Especially with liberal articles like this article likening pedophilia to a " condition " that people " live " with instead of it being a crime. I mean come on- this writer states that " our laws are failing them ( pedophiles ) " . WTF ? What about the laws failing child abuse victims whereby religious organizations are not required or other organizations required by law to report child abuse in ALL 50 states in the U.S. ? Reporting these crimes should be MANDATORY.

And excuse me ? There is actually a website called " Virtuos Pedophiles " ? You've GOT to be shitting me . What's next ? Websites called " honest politicians " ? Websites called " compassionate Charlie Mansons " ? It's ridiculous. With propaganda like this sick , misinformed information flying about in the media and on the internet- is it any wonder that pedophiles, child molesters, and rapists get a minimum slap on the wrist in our society ? It's so f----ed up it's beyond belief. Peace out Mr. Flipper

• Simon
    Simon

The two things are not mutually exclusive - it can be a disorder AND a crime surely?

• Brock Talon
    Brock Talon

To reiterate - the title of this article was: Pedophilia: A Disorder, Not a Crime

Here are some articles that are sure to be coming from the same author very soon:

• Rape Fantasies: A benign urge, Don't take it personally if you're the subject
    • Beheading threats: A simple civil disobedience desire, Let's talk it out

• Man/Sheep lust: Why is it so baaaaaad?
  • sir82
    sir82

Pedophilia is an inclination, a thought, a desire.

Child abuse is acting on that desire.

For those saying "this ought to be a crime": How exactly are you going to enforce "thought crime"?

• prologos
    prologos

The article seems to adress the issues of attraction to pre-puberty girls only, not on the 18 year minor consent line. It was strangely totally silent on the victims angle.

Thought crime? did not the ten coomandments, Jesus adress that issue, desire? what was the penalty? was it ever enforced?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit