RC 2015 Book "Jesus—The Way, the Truth, the Life"

by wifibandit 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD
    If you really want to learn about Jesus read the book "The Jesus Mysteries. Was the Original Jesus a pagan God?" Then you would have a better view who Jesus might have been. Not a white guy with a beard. Still Totally ADD
  • dozy
    dozy

Seems like Watchtower no longer has a writing dept. but an editing (copying and pasting and adjusting) dept.

I think the WTBTS have always functioned like this. Ray Franz wrote that most articles were basically just rehashed older ones from a few years previously. Some guy in the writing committee would basically take an older article , update it for any "new light" , change a few sentences & words around and re-publish it.

I wonder if there is a ( slightly ) new emphasis in the Org towards Jesus. For so long he has basically been relegated to someone whom JWs should look to as an example ( basically in preaching ). He was very much the minor party in the Society "Trinity" ( GB , Jehovah & Jesus , in that order. )

• Caminante
    Caminante

@leaving_quietly: Yes, since this book is a reworking or reboot of the "Greatest Man" book, most of the text and artwork stems from that book. There are a few completely new illustrations, and even existing ones have been updated or enhanced digitally.

@hoser: While the concept heavily borrows from the "Greatest Man" book, this new rendition of Jesus' biography features a more structured layout (chapters are grouped into units; there is a Scripture index, an index of the parables, and a list of Messianic prophecies in the back matter), uses up-to-date language and features up-to-dae interpretations of the parables and prophetic features.

• millie210
    millie210

This is a wild thought I know...

I have a friend who was a lawyer before becoming a JW and who is a brilliant writer. This friend wrote a booklet about the life and times of Jesus including the prophecies and cross linking everything. A copy was given to the C.O. who said it was a masterpiece and at his encouragement, a copy was sent to the Society who politely acknowledged a "correspondence".

This was about 4 years ago. Now I am wondering (this is the "wild" part...)

Do you all think that people send them ncredibly well written and researched stuff that their writers basically check over and then use?

Is that too far fetched?

• the comet
    the comet
    I mean that book looks nice and all....but, I'm pretty sure my Bart Ehrman books on jesus are better. I'll stick with them.
  • menrov
    menrov

of all the over 300 pages, there is one 1,5 page about Jesus today. And from that, only a few sentences that Jesus is now King. But it totally misses what that should mean to Christians today......

Peculiar as all the book is about say 3,5 years of His life on earth and about nothing about His much much much longer life in heaven.....

As such, it is indeed much like he former Greatest Man book. In my view, a window dressing exercise to please those in the R&F that like to see this.....

• poopie
    poopie
    Interesting not one word about dusfellowshiping in either one of new publications
  • babystar_jr
    babystar_jr

12 apostles

Andrew: faithful

Bartholomew (Nathanael): unfaithful!!!

James (son of Alphaeus): faithful

James (son of Zebedee): faithful

John: faithful

Judas Iscariot: faithful !!!

Matthew: faithful

Peter: faithful

Philip: faithful

Simon: faithful

Thaddaeus (Judas, son of James): faithful

Thomas: unfaithful !!!

Compare CHAPTER 34

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thomas unfaithful ? and Judas faithful ? what are the reasons ?

Or have they simply got the two back-arsewards ?

• babystar_jr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit