jw.org has an Armageddon countdown card on it. seriously.

by rebel8 22 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

Perhaps my thread title didn't convey this pretty significant find, so I'm reposting with this title. This is for real--it's right on their site.

Original thread

Article on jw.org about 1914 being 100 yrs ago, contains the card

Why is this significant? That's for you to form an opinion on, of course. Mine:

1. This material has generally not been seen before. I found less than a handful of sites that had this posted within the last few months, seemingly without much hubub, which surprises me. (Most of those sites were ebay offerings of reproductions.)
    2. It clearly states a specific date of The End, and we know what the Bible says about people who claim to know a specific date.
    3. wts, and jws, have almost always revised wts history to say it never said a specific date, or even that the end would be coming in 1914.
    4. It's a freaking Armageddon countdown card, in print at the time, and on their website now.
    5. See #4!

I think this is significant and hope you will all spread this around the Interwebs.

• rebel8
    rebel8

"Now, in view of recent labor troubles and threatened anarchy, our readers are writing to know if there may not be a mistake in the 1914 date. They do not see how present conditions can hold out so long under the strain. We see no reason for changing the figures - nor could we change them if we would. They are, we believe, God's dates, not ours. But bear in mind that the end of 1914 is not the date for the beginning, but for the end of the time of trouble." Zion's Watch Tower 1894 Jul 15 p.226

"… the battle of the great day of God Almighty … The date of the close of that "battle" is definitely marked in Scripture as October 1914. It is already in progress, its beginning dating from October, 1874." Zion's Watch Tower 1892 Jan 15 p.23

"The seventh trumpet sounds from Aug. 1840, until "the time of trouble," or day of wrath is ended. Hence, it doubtless ends with the times of the Gentiles, and this forty years of conquest; and therefore, sounds until A. D. 1914; at the end of which, Babylon the great, will have fallen, and the "dragon" be bound: that is, the nations will be subdued, and "the prince of this world cast out."" Three Worlds and the Harvest of This World (Barbour & Russell, 1877) p.27

“… the seven times will end in A.D. 1914; when Jerusalem shall be delivered forever, and the Jew say of the Deliverer, “Lo, this is our God, we have waited for Him and He will save us.” When Gentile Governments shall have been dashed to pieces; when God shall have poured out of his fury upon the nation, and they acknowledge him, King of Kings and Lord of Lords.” Bible Examiner C. T. Russell Oct 1876

MORE ABOUT 1914 PROPHECY

• KateWild
    KateWild

Great find Rebel8, but most JWs won't see it as failed prophesy. They are too indoctrinated, but still we can have hope people are waking up. We have had a couple this week wake up on JWN, one was a teenager still at school. Goodnews eh?

JW.org might be messing up

Kate xx

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If you want some idea of specific dates on events, you are better off studying astrology and learning how to use it. Then, look at the news and how things are being hidden from the general public. Doing this, I see that the banks are playing games with our currency, and using astrology (Neptune in 9 Pisces), their game is up sometime after April 18, 2015 and before the fall of 2016 while Neptune is in this degree. I can also check Saturn conjunct Pluto at 22 Capricorn, very close to both the sun (22-13) and Mercury (23-45). Saturn will be at 22-45 while Pluto at 22-47. This suggests a high risk of world war, possibly leading to global communism.

While astrology is not absolute because so many other variables can enter the picture, it is far better than the Washtowel Babble and Crap Slaveholdery.

• cha ching
    cha ching

Thank you for re-posting, rebel8 !!

I would have totally missed this, and am soooo glad to have seen it. One never knows when this will come in handy..

Then again, look what the charlatans in the Broadway play, Chigago did.... they give em the ol' "Razzle Dazzle" ..

They bring it up FIRST, as if they have nothing to hide... Soooooooooooo disgusting!!!

• scoobydont
    scoobydont

Hmmm ! No end to the manipulation of the sheeple ! Cue in false candour to soften the hardness of failed prophecies and I bet the dubs are lapping it up as another inspired "meat in due season" !

I used to feel pity towards the sheeple but I don't, anymore. They have a choice - they can smell the coffee and walk away from the organisation or they can choose to remain in there and slowly have the life sucked out of them !

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

they can work this for the r&f

this was just a countdown to the last days and the perceived end of the preaching work

but they learned a lesson! just look at the 1915 year text! they now had to endure test and be refined, just like all of us today, sometimes things dont happen like we expected, will we too be able to drink the cup of jehovah?

typical WTS spin

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

My understanding is that Russell originally said that Armageddon was going to come in the fall of 1914 but then changed this to the end of the gentile times after his failed prediction.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

I thought that Russell originally taught that Armageddon started in 1799, and Jeezus was big man in heaven since 1874?

1914, being the end of the gentile times was to be the very end of human rule on earth, to be replaced by heavenly rule as it had been since 1874 with Jesus on the throne.

So, not an Armageddon countdown card, but still significant.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Is it just me, or does this image sometimes load and sometimes not? I embedded it in this thread and in the other one. Sometimes I can see them, sometimes not. Again:

1914, being the end of the gentile times was to be the very end of human rule on earth, to be replaced by heavenly rule as it had been since 1874 with Jesus on the throne.

So, not an Armageddon countdown card, but still significant.

That's not my recollection of what I read while researching this back in the day. What I recall is they believed the Gentile Times ending signified Armageddon coming. They revised that to mean Jesus came to rule invisibly, once the date passed without them ascending to heaven.

Also, that is not what the card seems to be saying.

Caption on jw.org: "The 'Be Thou Faithful Unto Death' countdown card was used by some in their resolve to remain faithful to the end"

Actual text of card:
    BE THOU FAITHFUL UNTIL DEATH
    "A little while; now He has come; the hour draws on apace--The blessed hour, the glorious morn, when we shall see His Face."
    {calendar counting down the days from October 1, 1913 to September 30, 1914. Each day is numbered in descending order from 365 to 1.}
    "As they days, so they strength be"--Deut 33-25
    "HE THAT ENDURETH TO THE END SHALL BE SAVED"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit