Exp. @ Silentlamb's news/candle light vigil

by Joyzabel 10 Replies latest social current

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Upon arriving at the motel Thursday night and trying to find other posters by their “handles”, we connected up with those already there. (Do you know what funny looks you get when asking for people’s rooms on the basis of only their first name and where they are from? The clerks didn’t understand about our jwd “names”.) It was great to meet people from this board that we have chatted with.

Friday morning we met all that had came in during the night and then we headed towards Bill Bowen’s house and the news conference to be held at the courthouse steps. Several survivors where still questioning whether they should speak up or not due to the tremendous ramifications it would have on them and their families. The tension was high and the air was filled with excitement as we, about 9 cars, drove to the courthouse.

We met several other supporters at the courthouse. Bill and Barbara did a wonderful job defending their stand about Silentlambs. There were 2 former elders who also spoke on their experiences in dealing with child molestations. Then personal survivors told their stories of abuse and treatment by the wtbts. (There was not a dry eye by anyone listening.) How brave of those who spoke, letting the roar of the Silentlambs begin.

One of the posters from this board came to the courthouse with his family in support of Silentlambs. His wife, an inactive JW, was standing off to the side with her arms crossed and a scowl on her face. My husband and I had approached her before the press conference to help her feel at ease that we are jws in “good standing”, along with several others that were there. After the press conference, I went back over to her to get her opinion on what had been said and she started sobbing in my arms as she explained that she too was abused when she was young.

The whole “gang” of supporters when to lunch at a local Mexican restaurant to get to know one another better and be supportive of Bill and Barbara.

About 4 PM several of us went to the local KH to set up the candlelight vigil. The wind was blowing harder than expected so more sand was needed to hold the bags with candles down and more weights to hold the tent down that Bill had set up. Several of us joked that we were good at working together, due to our past experiences with quick builds and assemblies.

The vigil began with Bill explaining how and why Silentlambs came about. Barbara explained her involvement in it and then several brave survivors shared their experiences. E-mailed letters where read as well as poems and songs that were sent to Bill’s web site. The whole thing was a very emotionally moving experience.

As the sun began to set, the 350+ candles in white paper bags with survivor’s names on them glowed so beautifully. The bags were two deep stretching across 400 feet of grass.

To watch different ones during this time cry and embrace, support one another, hug, and relate how they were coping with their circumstances and how to help other survivors was overwhelming. To think also that Bill, his family and Barb have dealt with this emotionally charged issue, not because they had a personal cause, but from their conscientious stand, was awe inspiring.

To see the local J.C. committee not show up, and then reflect on how the wtbts is handling the whole affair with their “spin”, made me so sad to think I had ever belonged to that organization.

I am so proud of everyone who spoke up that day to let the Silentlambs begin to roar even though the long-term effect of what took place may not be known for a while.

• zev
    zev

joy,

thank you so much for posting this.

i read it with tears in my eyes.

i wish i could have been there to be a part of it all.

thank you again.

Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America
    U.A.D.N.A.--Rhode Island

• noidea
    noidea

{{Joy}}

It was an awesome experience and I will never be the same. I know there were many that wanted to be there but because of circumstances were no able to attend. When the candles were glowing they were glowing not for only the abuse victims but also those that are supportive of them..Yes, because of Silent Lambs the silence has been stopped and they will continue to roar. There are many that think that the Silent Lambs organization is to try and bring down a religion..that is so untrue. This has nothing to do with religion and unless those that feel that way are not willing to believe that.. the only thing I can feel for them is pity.

For those that were there...You are all beautiful loving people and will all hold a dear place in my heart. We came together face to face as strangers and left as family I love you all!!

Meeting Bill and his family and Barbara and others made me realize how much of themselves they have given to this and how much they have given up. Words can never express the courage and sacrifice that these families have made, They truly show what CHRISTIAN LOVE is.

~~~Noi~~~

Member of the: I have ~No-Idea~ class.

• SYN
    SYN

Wow, I wish I could have been there.

"Vaccination has never saved a human life. It does not prevent smallpox." The Golden Age, Feb 4 1931 p. 293-4 - The Sacredness of Human Blood (Reasons why vaccination is unscriptural)

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

awesome absolutely awesome

to think I have waited for 38 years to really roar

thank you to those who went

Joy thank you for the hug you gave that poor woman

thank you to Bill and his family and Barbara and everyone else

Gotta go get another box of kleenex

A not-so-silent lamb

Aspire to inspire before you expire

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Joy that was very good writing. I enjoyed reading it.

I have to laugh though at your first paragraph. I have this mental picture of everyone asking the clerk to locate the others. LOL
    It would have been realy cool if the entire expierence could have been recorded.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Joy,

Thank you for sharing. What a wonderful experience - I wish I could have been there with you. I was also abused as a child, but not by someone in the congregation. So although not abused by elders, I had enough close encounters with two that I understand the Silentlambs hearts.

You all know that those of us not there in person, were there in "spirit".

Andi

*feeling very proud of the company I keep on this board*

• noidea
    noidea

In case you missed this thread it has a newspaper article and a few pics of the press conference & vigil.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=28537&site=3

~~~Noi~~~

Member of the: I have ~No-Idea~ class.

• flower
    flower

((((((((((((joy)))))))))))))))) thanks for taking us 'there'.

love ya,

flower

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

I just wanted to share with you all what it was like to be there. Like Noidea said, it has changed me and I hold everyone that was able to be there as being very dear to me for their efforts and acts of christian love.

I know a lot more wanted to be there and many were there in spirit. I just wish there was more we can do to support Bill in his efforts.

j2bf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit