How Has Turning Athiest/ Agnostic Affected You?

by minimus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

The raw emotion of how we are just going to get old and die hit me. I mean we were totally dilusional thinking that we would never die. I now try to live a more friutfull life. But at the same time its not easy getting over this cult thing.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Like millions of kids , in the western world anyway, I was sent to sunday school at an early age by parents who didnt practice a faith of their own but probably considered themselves christian and beleived that was the right thing to do , send your kid to sunday school.

I rebelled at about the age of 12/13 and refused to go anymore.Obviously all those years must have made some impression , because to me the bible was a mysterious book that fascinated me.Remember I`m only young.

Fast forward to my late teens and somebody comes along and opens up the bible to me.

33 years later, something doesnt quite seem to gel here , this religion is not what its cracked up to be.Big problem so I fade.

Years later the Internet springs to life and thank "whoever "/"whatever" I have sons who are into that .And I find free minds , which led me to this site.

And it has been a long journey , initially scary , but an eye opening one that has led me to the conclusion that their could be no GOD as defined by any religous group , christian or otherwise , and certainly not by texts or writings thousands of years ago.

Is their a spiritual realm ? .Is their life after death ? in heaven ? In a spiritual sense ? Or is their nothing ?

The truth is I dont know ...and nobody else knows either , despite what they may tell you nobody knows.

So why I identify myself as an atheist , as far as religions and scriptures , sacred writings ,texts , holy writings etc.that exist in the world they belong in the scrap heap. Religion has been a pox on humanity from its start , and has been a cancer ever since.

smiddy

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I cannot believe in god anymore. I haven't changed much really in myself but I just know there is NO divine justice and when I'm dead that's it....no afterlife.

If we want change then it isn't coming from god...it comes from people.

• donny
    donny

Everyday life makes much more sense now that I don't have to find a way to make "God" fit into the picture. As a another unbeliever once said "Without God and Religion, you have good people doing good things and bad people doing bad things. But it takes a belief in God and Religion to make a good person do a bad thing."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit