How Has Turning Athiest/ Agnostic Affected You?

by minimus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

A person can only be benefitted from no longer believing things that simply are not true.

This is how it has worked out in my case.

Someone once said, "You shall know the truth and it shall set you free."

Freedom feels good.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Exactly what Oubliette said.

Well put sir!

Just live life. Enjoy each day as you can. Contribute to the world around you.

• millie210
    millie210

Well I came here to read expecting all atheists to say its grand!

And with a couple exceptions, I wasnt disappointed.

I guess I am looking for a new young tender agnostic/atheistic view point perhaps?

I want to know what ones process was to get there.

I know that most Christians doubt at times. Why is it that atheists are so determindly positive? No doubts? Really?

Upon learning all I have been taught by the JWs was basically wrong - I am suspicious of perky positives of any bent.

I am catiously moving my way toward agnosticism but I feel very alone in it.

• cofty
    cofty

No doubts? Really?

Yes really.

Being positive doesn't mean being closed minded.

Follow the evidence. The relief at no longer having to twist and filter facts to fit preconceived beliefs is wonderful.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

millie210: Upon learning all I have been taught by the JWs was basically wrong - I am suspicious of perky positives of any bent. I am catiously moving my way toward agnosticism but I feel very alone in it.

Understood.

I didn't read every post on this thread, but I doubt anyone said that the journey we had to our present state was without difficulties.

It is particularly painful to have long-standing friendships and some family relationships end because some people insist on holding on to delusional beliefs that preclude maintaining relations with someone that doesn't share their beliefs.

It's a process to cast off long-held beliefs. But it is impossible for me to pretend to believe things which are just not true and do not make any sense. What kind of person does that?

• millie210
    millie210

It's a process to cast off long-held beliefs. But it is impossible for me to pretend to believe things which are just not true and do not make any sense. What kind of person does that?

Well apparently a lot of people do that! But you didnt ask how many, you asked "what kind". I dont know but that is a good question. A scared person maybe? A person who is afraid of loss? Afraid of change?

What I personally am afraid of is non accuracy. I just want to get it right. I want to know how it really is. Thats all. I dont want it to "be the way I want it or the way I "hope", I just want accurate. Whatever that is.

• millie210
    millie210

Cofty,

Apparently I cant figure out how to use the quote feature twice in a row!

I just wanted to say that I am glad you have arrived at a place where you feel so secure.

I hope we all get there at some point.

• Zordino
    Zordino

It's allowed rational thought to flow more freely through my brain. I'm at peace and see life in a totally different way. I'm generally more happy. A god would have to

Be pretty evil to allow all the human misery through out history. Now we know it was all human nature and mother nature.

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

I have observed something else under the sun. The fastest runner doesn't always win the race, and the strongest warrior doesn't always win the battle. The wise sometimes go hungry, and the skillful are not necessarily wealthy. And those who are educated don't always lead successful lives. It is all decided by chance, by being in the right place at the right time. (Ecclesiastes 9:11)

Althought I don't believe that the Bible was inspired by God, I admit that the above words are true due to a good experience and observation. So, no matter how much you believe in God "it is all decided by chance, by being in the right place at the right time". So, the believer and the unbeliever will die if both were unlucky and take a defective airplane. If so, do you still believe that God is concerned about you?

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Good point opusdei1972!

This clip highlighthey similar point, that it doesn't make a difference what we beleive....it can be twisted to suit anyone....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A0EEKfTnfvA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit