Article: If God saved an American doctor with Ebola, why did he let 1,200 Africans die?

by AndersonsInfo 30 Replies latest jw friends

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/aug/25/ebola-africans-die-god-american-doctor
    If God saved an American doctor with Ebola, why did he let 1,200 Africans die?

Michele Hanson

The Guardian, Monday 25 August 2014 06.59 EDT

It must be lovely for people such as Dr Kent Brantly to be so sure of God's existence. For the rest of us, it's not so easy

Ebola survivor Dr Kent Brantly Ebola survivor Dr Kent Brantly. Photograph: Tami Chappell/Reuters

Lucky Dr Kent Brantly, the American doctor who has recovered from Ebola, having been given a dose of the experimental antibody serum Zmapp, whizzed home to the US, and given another dose. He is now thanking God for saving his life. Through the medical team and drugs, he admits, but ultimately, it seems, God was in charge. And he chose Brantly, not the other 1,200 mainly west African people who have died horribly, which seems a bit picky.

It must be lovely for Brantly to be so sure of things. I tried, aged 10, to work out whether God was around or not, but couldn't. "What was his actual shape?" I wondered. And how could he be everywhere, all at once? How big, for example, was his toenail? Did it cover Ruislip, where I lived? I imagined him constantly on the go, distant enough for an effective overview and able to home in on catastrophes and act. But it was very hit and miss. Would he be on the spot when you needed him, like Brantly did? On and on I went for years, trying to believe in him. I even went camping with a tremendously religious youth organisation, but despite the prayers and observances, even the devout did some frightfully rude things in their tents. And there was no divine retribution. I gave up on God, for ever.

Millions didn't. They seem to be obeying his instructions to the letter, which isn't doing the world any favours. But at last, a bit of good news. The Jehovah's Witnesses are mellowing. They have a new tactic. Instead of just knocking on doors, they're also allowed to stand beside their literature, smiling, near shops and stations, letting us approach voluntarily. Marvellous. It's a shame they didn't do this years ago, when my old friend was a Jehovah's Witness. She was terrified sick of being sent to knock on our door. Luckily it never happened.

If only all religions would take this hands-off approach and let us all believe whatever we like. No pressure. I hope that one day, that will happen. I would say "Please, God," but I can't.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

I think there is much, much more to this Ebola virus than they are telling us, like where it came from and why. Remains to be seen.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

I guess the experimental drugs could have had something to do with the doctor's recovery...

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

'God' doesn't 'save' anyone from Ebola because he doesn't exist. Period. End of story! In the same vein, God doesn't 'help' a sports team win a football game, either. It might be a nice, warm & fuzzy thought that there is an all-Powerful super-Daddy watching over us, just like our parents did when we were babies. But folks, it just isn't true. We are on our own with our fellow human beings. We must accept this reality and solve our own problems through our own efforts. Time to end the Magical Thinking and make Reality our religion!

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

God didn't save anyone. If he was he still would not have saved anyone who was Sub Saharan African. AFter all he did wait a couple thousand years to present the truth about himself to those people.

Needless to say there is no reason to get excited to cure anything happening on the dark continent until it happens to mess with the white folks. Let us not forget that America and its allies for some reason have a record for implanted diseases and testing weird things on people of color and concealing that fact for decades. <---- Facts

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

We must accept this reality and solve our own problems through our own efforts.

Sounds to me like the doctor did just that. He accepted the vaccine twice.

• prologos
    prologos

He did not need a miracle he has science on his side, with a prepared plane ride.

The miracle was needed for the lierated slave-offspring in Liberia. The wt/bible god does not push slave liberation, even in his christian paulian incarnation( -- found as a slave do not seek freedom--" so, god still sticking to his guns? still ignoring the slave's plight?

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Anyone who believes "god" saved Brantly is a frickin idiot, and that includes the man himself.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

Hey, my five-day bout of constipation finally relieved itself today. I guess 'God' finally got around to solving the problem. HAHA

• Viviane
    Viviane

Sounds to me like the doctor did just that. He accepted the vaccine twice.

Or... he gave baby jesus credit for what doctors did. Twice. What an asshole.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit