Nurse Betty encounters 1975

by FatFreek 2005 16 Replies latest social humour

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

I remember those days well having been dunked in 1956. I don't know why it took me till '77 to shake myself to reality. However, I recall well the hype -- the strong implications (the WT never came out with a direct promise such as they did with the year 1925 -- yet they did a slight apology in the early 80's for their multitude of published implications ) and kinda turned my head after getting it puffed up with an appointment as an elder. I recall the feeling of self-importance at giving instruction talks in the TMS, the occasional public talks at various congregations. Having 4 young boys and a marriage that I suspected would crumble (it did) was a deterrent for a while. Those back burner issues simply got too bothersome to ignore any longer.

To those lurking -- the 1975 fiasco was real. I was there and will never forget. Check out your 1975 yearbook (on WT library CD), searching for the year 1925 and "anna macdonald" how they were starting to prepare the flock for disappointment in that 50th anniversary.

Len

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

1975 was real all right......The exact wording might have been a little cagey , some of us thought that perhaps it might not be in the exact year,necesarily, but any delay was going to be no more than a few months maybe (that was the extent of any uncertainty) The very idea of us still being here in the 21st cent. was inconceivable .

As Len ( FF) said above, the '75 Yearbook was saying this to mitigate any potential problems

The year 1925 came and went. Jesus’ anointed followers were still on earth as a class. The faithful men of old times—Abraham, David and others—had not been resurrected to become princes in the earth. (Ps. 45:16) So, as Anna MacDonald recalls: “1925 was a sad year for many brothers. Some of them were stumbled; their hopes were dashed. They had hoped to see some of the ‘ancient worthies’ [men of old like Abraham] resurrected. Instead of its being considered a ‘probability,’ they read into it that it was a ‘certainty,’ and some prepared for their own loved ones with expectancy of their resurrection. I personally received a letter from the sister who brought me the truth. She advised me that she had done wrong in what she had told me. . . . [But] I was appreciative of my liberation from Babylon. Where else could one go? I had learned to know and love Jehovah.”
    God’s faithful servants had not dedicated themselves to him only until a certain year. They were determined to serve him forever. To such persons the unfulfilled expectations concerning 1925 did not pose a great problem or affect their faith adversely. “For the faithful ones,” remarks James Poulos, “1925 was a wonderful year. Jehovah through his ‘faithful and discreet slave’ brought to our attention the meaning of the twelfth chapter of Revelation. We learned about the ‘woman,’ God’s universal organization; the war in heaven and the defeat and expulsion from the heavenly courts of Satan and his demons, by Jesus Christ and his holy angels; the birth of the kingdom of God.” Evidently, Brother Poulos has in mind the very noteworthy article “Birth of the Nation,” appearing in The Watch Tower of March 1, 1925. Through it, God’s people clearly discerned how these two great opposing organizations—Jehovah’s and Satan’s—were symbolized. They then learned, too, that the Devil has had to confine his operations to the earth since his ouster from heaven as a result of the ‘war in heaven’ beginning in 1914

As to the honesty of the above , and what they really had forecast for 1925, check the link below:

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/1925.php

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

That jwfacts.com link is priceless, BB.

• Magnum
    Magnum

Magnum: "Imagine what it would be like for a JW who really did go into a coma in about 1974. . . . "

DesirousOfChange: Is that really so hard to imagine?

Explain please the difference between that scenario and those that were around in 1974 and are still "IN"?

Those are still just as much asleep as if they were in the coma.

The difference is that those you refer to as being still in are still asleep; the guy who was in the coma woke up.

Another difference: You're referring to figurative sleep (as in not recognizing TTATT). Those you refer to are still asleep figuratively and quite possibly will never wake up. This discussion is about a guy who was never asleep figuratively, but who went to sleep literally and woke up. He was aware of the vibe in the org before he went into the coma and would be aware of the new vibe (or lack thereof) and would discern the difference and be shocked.

Had he not gone into a coma, he would have seen the situation change gradually and would not have been as shocked.

• Balaamsass2
  • sparky1
    sparky1

If I woke up to this NURSE BETTY I wouldn't give a royal rats ass about 1975!

• davidmitchell
    davidmitchell

Every JW who was a JW in the 1970s has, when I raise the subject of that year, has always denied that 1975 was said to be the date of armageddon and they also add 'I certainly wasn't aware of anyone saying that'. That is really weird as I remember there were JWs at school in the 1960s who all said that 1975 would see 'the end' and I recall celebrity JWs (e,.g., footballers) being quoted in newspapers as saying this too.

Isn't selective amnesia wonderful?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit