Was Charles Russell delusional or just a con artist?

by keyser soze 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Are the two options mutually exclusive?

Rub a Dub

• L3G
    L3G

nykid: agreed.

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

If I were to guess, I'd say that Russell was about 30% delusional, 40% deceptive and 30% narcissistic.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

i think he sincerely believed what he taught. But after 1914 I am certain he finally felt the cold reality smack him in the face the same way Barbour did back in 1878, but by that time it was too late.

It seems after 1914 till his death in 1916, CTR really had nothing much to say about anything. After he dies Rutherford turned the religion on its head.

CTR must have realized he was a false prophet

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

The best liars are the ones that lie to themselves.

By that logic, the best con men are the ones that con themselves, and delusion sure can help with that.

x

So, a little from column A, a little from column B.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It bares well to keep in mind the era in which Russell lived in regards to public knowledge and awareness concerning evolution, biology, astrophysics

and the many other of todays accepted sciences.

In Russell's era reading language skills with a bit of simple math was the norm of what was taught in schools in the late 1800's.

The bible on the other hand was perceived as something very special as toward its importance and significance from a sociological perspective.

The Christian Adventists at the time thought they could crack the prophetic meaning written in the bible, creating something truly engaging

for public consumption, at the same time cultivating attentive notoriety for themselves from out these theological teachings.

Russell was one of these people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit