Current circuit visit

by Saltheart Foamfollower 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Saltheart Foamfollower
    Saltheart Foamfollower

As we are into the third week of the new circuit visit arrangement, I was wondering if any had experienced it yet and whether there are any changes. What is done with the spare evening? Anyone tried to get an appointment through with the c/o doing the appointing? I've got a visit coming up soon, though our c/o was removed recently so nobody seems to know what's going on anyway (snafu). I'll let you know if I see anything interesting. I've heard they are reviewing cong teaching at the bs (and isn't that abreviation perfect) during the first visit where the bs isn't happening. jw.org logic at it's best.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

Thanks. Will be interesting reading for those of us who have no clue how they do things now days.

• rory-ks
    rory-ks

The congregation in our town (UK) had their circuit visit the first week in September. I am intrigued by the direction the Society appears to be taking, so I went along for the last half hour on both Tuesday and Sunday to see what the Governing Body are getting their circuit overseer's to say. In short: nothing much.

At the risk of spoiling it for you, it was all old hat. Nothing new. I won't be doing it again, ever. Their can't be anything new at a circuit visit because they are stretched out over the course of six months and if the Society wants anything new released they always do it in one big hit. The AGM would appear to be the modus operandi these days.

Anyway, the Tuesday talk was themed around loving the truth, based on 1 Corinthians 13:6, "Love...rejoices with the truth." It was a rehash of Society history, and how we all rejoiced when new truths were revealed. Whether it was in the outline, or it was just a man's personal over-emphasis, the circuit overseer here talked about "the full light of truth" being revealed in 1935 about the great crowd. The outline regurgitates the story of Rutherford asking for all those who are looking forward to living forever in paradise on earth to "please stand up," and half the audience rises to their feet. This questionable event is held up as some kind of modern-day miracle. The point the CO seems to overlook is that since that time the full light of truth has turned out to be not full light at all. The Society have revised their position on the door to entry in to the 144,000 being closed in 1935. Much to their embarrassment the number of partakers has gradually been rising over the last few years, and 1935 has been quietly swept under the carpet.

Sunday's talk was all about the resurrection hope. Of course, there was reference to the recent Resurrection weepie. But it was all about the "very real" resurrection hope conveyed in the scriptures and how it can strengthen you and give you courage if you are faced with having to die for what you believe, etc, etc.

The extra evening would appear to be set aside for Family Worship. Whether that allows the CO and his wife to have an evening to themselves so that they can engage in family worship - or whether they swoop down on a local family - I don't know. That might be interesting to find out.

So: A reiteration of Society's history and its love of truth, followed by a re-emphasis on the resurrection hope. I suppose it is possible to read a deeper meaning in to those two things. But, all in all, same old same old.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

What can the WBT$ have that's anything groundbreaking apart from new ways to make money?

• bigmac
  • Saltheart Foamfollower
    Saltheart Foamfollower

Thanks rory ks. My anticipation level has now risen to apathetic. I'll let you know when our co has been if there is anything worth noting from e/ms meeting.

• Richard_I
    Richard_I

I can confirm there's no change at all, its just your typical CO visit with one less meeting, which is kind of odd since the Friday meeting focused on the congregation and was supposed to be the CO "encouraging" (aka scolding) the congregation. Now its just a generic Tuesday talk, public talk and then concluding talk about how "wonderful" the organization is. Just a bunch of BS. Also I guess the Friday evening is supposed to be Family Worship instead.

• L3G
    L3G

Thank you rory-ks for this

and 1935 has been quietly swept under the carpet.

as well as all the info. That 1935 was truly big when I was in, but now, as you put it, it's all ignored. There's such a long history of such changes...

• rory-ks
    rory-ks

Oh, I also meant to add: The outline for Tuesday also pulls out the old "superior authorities" schtick as a a wonderful enlightened truth when in 1962 the organisation recognised that the "superior authorities" of Romans chapter 13 were the governments of the world, and not Jehovah and Jesus as they previously believed. This information completely ignores the fact that up to 1929 the bible students did teach that the superior authorities were the governments. It was that "ass" Rutherford who began teaching that the superior authorities were Jehovah and Jesus, and said teaching held from 1929 to 1962.

• prologos
    prologos

rory-ks: "--up to 1929 the bible student did teach that the superior authorities were the governments. It was that "ass"--- your good comment, and I might add:

This outline would ignore the fact that the churches taught the so-called "New Light:, all along for centuries. Churches: 1, WT writers: 0 or:

Is this preparing the JWs for a trend,-- that more reverting back to conventional Church teaching is in the offing?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit