David and Abishag

by opusdei1972 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

1 King David was now very old, and no matter how many blankets covered him, he could not keep warm. 2 So his advisers told him, “Let us find a young virgin to wait on you and look after you, my lord. She will lie in your arms and keep you warm.” 3 So they searched throughout the land of Israel for a beautiful girl, and they found Abishag from Shunem and brought her to the king. 4 The girl was very beautiful, and she looked after the king and took care of him. But the king had no sexual relations with her. (1 Kings 1: 1-4; NLT)

Why did they search for a beatiful virgin if it was only for taking care of David ?

• b00mslang
    b00mslang

They wanted him to live as long as possible. Think of it as an incentivisation. If he rolled over and saw someone that looked like, say, Lena Dunham, he'd puke and expire. Whereas someone of a more aesthetic, Jewish stock (e.g.: Alison Brie, Emmanuelle Chriqui, or Rachel Weisz, etc.) could extract a bit more enthusiasm from the old boy.

• Island Man
    Island Man

Abishag? Abi-shag? As in "Ah be shagging that chick every day if I were David"? LOL.

• Londo111
    Londo111

It's good to be the king!

• smiddy
    smiddy

But the king had no sexual relations with her. (1 Kings 1: 1-4; NLT)

No , but did she have sexual relations with him , maybe the bible writers were just as devious as the WT writers in the way they spin things.

smiddy

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

I'm no textual critic, but I wouldn't be surprised if that final sentence, " But the king had no sexual relations with her" was added later. It does seem a completely out of place just like some of the additions to the end of Mark do.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Was David just like Bill Clinton??

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman Abishag!"

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

w 1984/05/01 p 8 ("Why Hesitate? Listen and Obey!")

Yeah, I lost my wife, but I listened and obeyed and got date-raped by my daughters. Gosh, I hated that so much that I almost forgot to have it recorded in the Bible.

Listen, obey, and ...

• Simon
    Simon

The main bible message: women are objects to be used.

Written at a time when that would be an appealing and politically correct and acceptable opinion.

Obviously reflecting the views of its authors.

• humbled
    humbled

How would anyone know?

But she didn't have a child with him, at any rate.

Sad to think that she didn't have a child yet was not allowed to remarry after David's death. In fact, the man who asked to marry her was killed (1 Kings 2) as it was considered a move to usurp the throne.

She was simply a political pawn without any kids to drive her nuts comfort her in her old age. Sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit