Can you help with a definition for Evolution?

by Fernando 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Fernando
    Fernando

I'm trying to pin down a definition for Evolution, hopefully in plain English, and some questions have come to mind:

Is this a fool's errand?

Has Evolution itself evolved?

If so how has the definition evolved?

Is there current consensus between Evolutionists on a definition?

Are there different schools of thought and definitions?

Is there a consensus definition shared between Evolutionists and Creationists?

What percentage of Evolutionists:

• are atheists?
    • believe in God?
    • believe in creation?
    • believe life originated spontaneously?

Thanking you in advance for your contribution.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Evolution is change in the gene pool over time.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Evolution is a Scientific Theory that explains the diverse speciation we see on our planet today. Or, more simply put, why there are so many different species of plants, animals, fungi, bacteria, protists, and archaea. Evolution has two main components - Selection (either Natural, Artificial, or Sexual) and Genetic Mutation - that cause changes in the inherited characteristics of biological populations over successive generations.

I'm trying to pin down a definition for Evolution, hopefully in plain English, and some questions have come to mind:

Is this a fool's errand?

It depends on how specific you want to be. For example, gravity is a Scientific Theory. You can say something as simple as "gravity explains the attraction of two or more objects with mass." Or, you could go much deeper by explaining how gravity fits into general relitivity and quantum mechanics. It's up to you. This might shed some light on the matter:

"Scientfic Theories describe the causal elements responsible for a particular natural phenomenon, and are used to explain and predict aspects of the physical universe or specific areas of inquiry (e.g. electricity, chemistry, astronomy). Scientists use theories as a foundation to gain further scientific knowledge, as well as to accomplish goals such as inventing technology or curing disease."

Has Evolution itself evolved?

If so how has the definition evolved?

When evolution was first purposed it was known that species passed on their traits and charachteristics to their offspring. But, at the time, no one knew exactly what the mechanisim was. It wasn't until much later when DNA was discovered that we began to understand exactly how genetic mutation works. But, from its inception, both components of evolution were there.

Is there current consensus between Evolutionists on a definition?

There is scientfic consensus on the theory of evolution among academics in the Life Sciences (developmental and molecular biology, ecology, embryology, ontogeny, osteology, paleontology, etc).

When you say "evolutionists" I assume you are simply refering to people who accept the theory of evolution. But this really conflates the issue because the theory of evolution is a scientific term with a precise and defenitive meaning. How the lay person chooses to describe it has no bearing on the theory at all.

It would be like asking "do "Cellulists" have a concensus on how to define cells?" Likewise, Cell Theory is a scientfic term with a precise meaning. How people who accept the existance of cells choose to define it has nothing to do with the actual science.

Are there different schools of thought and definitions?

Like any theory, if you get deep enough into it, you will eventually find a small enough point where scientfic concensus finally starts to diverge. Imagine you're trying to prove to me that Ford Mustangs exist. And I ask you for a definition of a Ford Mustang. You could give me a very broad answer like "it's a car" or you could go into great detail. Now imagine I took two experts on Ford Mustangs and they got into a super in depth conversation about the vehichal. One of thme was pretty sure the screw for the exhaust manifold was a flat head and the other thought it took a diamond head.

It's going to be at this sort of depth scientist have thier disagreements on evolution. It's a level so finite most of us would wonder why they even care in the first place.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Thank you hamsterbait and Coded Logic.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

From your opening post it seems as though you hang on to the old JW ideas about evolution, that it is something non-believers in god latch on to , as an excuse for not believing in god. It also seems as though you think that "Evolutionists" is a proper label to use.

People who have examined the reality that is Evolution are not any kind of "ists" , nor are they supporters of any kind of "ism", they simply examine the proofs, facts and huge amount of evidence. They come from all walks of life and may or may not be theists or some kind of believer.

Evolution as a Scientific Theory has survived all the onslaughts hurled at it by those who perceive it as a challenge to their faith for over 150 years. No other theory has been subjected to such attack, or to such rigour, as far as I can recall.

Yes, it has gone through what nearly all Scientific Theories do, constant change as new facts emerge, but it stands.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Thank you too Phizzy, and I look forward to learning more and understanding better.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Evolution means "change over time"

Context counts and your OP is kind of all over the place.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Good ole' Fernando is as he says above, simply wishing to learn, and I thank him for the Thread, which gave us Hamsterbait's succinct definition:

" Evolution is change in the gene pool over time."

This simple definition is extremely useful when talking to a JW or like believer in Bible stuff who condemns Evolution wholesale.

The reason being that the WT/JW org does not deny that "change in the gene pool over time" takes place, and I doubt any other believers deny it either, they can actually see it happening fer chrissakes.

So, tell 'em their beloved G.B agrees with that definition, and they will then have to explain how the changes we can prove happened, all did so since the Flood, and happened some 16,000 times faster than science told us it happened.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

Interaction of particles through space and time.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

What percentage of Evolutionists:

• are atheists?
    • believe in God?
    • believe in creation?
    • believe life originated spontaneously?

No way of knowing. I imagine a fairly high percentage in the USA are atheists, but an enormously higher percentage in the rest of the world are atheists.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit