Nebuchadnezzar's Dream--The Death of His Dynasty

by Tiresias 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Tiresias
    Tiresias

Hello Eden,

I read your treatment of Daniel 2 and I must say, I am impressed! The detail is staggering. I find it so interesting that we arrived at the same conclusion without ever having discussed the issue.

My line of inquiry began with the question, 'How did the vision apply to Daniel's contemporaries.' Of course, my hypothesis was that the vision did indeed apply to Daniel's contemporaries. I then sought confirmatory or disconfirmatory historical evidence. My research was tantamount to an archaeological dig.

I'm very interested to know what idea prompted your mental trajectory? (i.e. the supposition that Nebuchadnezzar's dream did apply to Daniel's people?).

Bye for now!

T

• Tiresias
    Tiresias

Hello Coldsteel,

I understand your frustration. I cannot count the number of unfruitful exchanges I've experienced. Forum discussions all-too-often descend into a skeet shoot wherein an idea is advanced only to be shot down quickly. I remember feeling so battle-fatigued in one forum that I simply disengaged and determined to never again subject myself to such misery.

You raise some good points about prophecies that are ostensibly unfulfilled. I can only say that there are times when Preterists, Historicists, and Futurists must declare: "I don't know!" Because I am shortsighted (literally, I can see only objects that are close by!) my lenses help my eyes transcend their limitations--to a point. But my vision is not telescopic. It is limited, even with corrective lenses. And so it is with Preterism (bible prophecy was fulfilled in the past), Historicism (bible prophecy was fulfilled throughout recorded history), and Futurism (bible prophecy has yet to be fulfilled).

My fear is that the meaning-making optics we bring to Bible study all-too-often become ideological, meaning that our perspective becomes self-evidently true and morally justifiable. The Bible then becomes a lamp that is rubbed and the hermeneutic genie appears. Only, the genie's wish becomes my command. The Bible becomes a tool of control.

So let me simply repeat, "I don't know" what Zechariah or Ezekiel had in mind when they spoke about re-built temples, scattered Israelites, and such. I can only say that what I "see" with my hermeneutic (interpretive) lenses makes sense--to me. But my so-called "lenses" are still very limited, historically, linguistically, and culturally, in regards to the ancient Hebrew world. So, there it is.

Bye for now!

T

• Viviane
    Viviane

Since they believe that all prophecies have been fulfilled, including the prophecies laid out in Matthew 24 and the book of Revelation, they must go through a number of gyrations to find fulfillment of things not yet fulfilled.

Not one prophecy in the Bible has ever been fulfilled.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/284484/1/Biblical-Prohecies-That-Came-True

• Tiresias
    Tiresias

Hello Viviane,

I would say that your dogmatic declaration and your nails of specificity have crafted the perfect coffin for "prophecy." No room to maneuver within this casket.

T

• Viviane
    Viviane

No dogma, just a reasonable standard of judgement. That prophecy fails any reasonable test is a consequence.

• Tiresias
    Tiresias

Hello Viviane,

Given the passion with which you pronounce upon prophecy, I assume you are speaking about the "prophecies" of the Jehovah's Witnesses? If so, I apologize for not clarifying whether you were speaking about biblical prophecy (men who spoke to Israel) or organizational "prophecy" (modern men who claim to interpret the will of God).

Respectfully,

T.

• Viviane
    Viviane

I said Bible prophecy earlier. Was that not clear?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit