My evening at the pub - how many ex-JW's do you think there are?

by berrygerry 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

So I'm having a pint and talking to the owner and his GF.

She's talking about her line of work - leads to my family history - and that my wife is in a strange religion.

The owner snorts, and says very disdainfully that his ex was a Jehovah's Witness. I said Bingo.

Then the barmaid pipes in about her grandma and all of her aunts and uncles were Witnesses, and were all out. But the grandma has Witness siblings, so went back after 20 years. Her kids were upset that she went back.

As the barmaid didn't know much about being a JW, she was fascinated and asked question after question.

Anyways, it got me thinking that there must be multi-millions who have left.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

There was a thread a while back about a WT article that said something like 2.6 million were baptized over some specific 10 year period, but the increase in publishers was half that. So, there's probably at least 2-3 million, if not more.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi berrygerry, I displayed a graph in the thread No wonder they hate apostates!! (1) - Jehovahs-Witness.Net that estimated that there were ~ 2 million exJWs world-wide in 2010. Even though ~ 2 million JWs may have left the WTBTS, there are too many who have not overcome the WTBTS's mind manipulation and still feel that the WTBTS does have the "Truth" and/or are still adversely affected by the WTBTS's mind manipulation.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

That's a good chart.

Can you imagine comparing WTS to another corporation?

The churn rate is pretty high, and the customer acquisition cost is skyrocketing.

Time for new management!

• jgnat
    jgnat

In hubby's family, at least four of the six brothers married Jehovah's Witnesses, and only one brother is still one. There are also some neices and nephews still involved.

• zeb
    zeb

The last time I attended the kh there were apx half what had been formerly.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Pew reseach had an article that 2/3 of Jehovah's Witnesses are EX. Almost 8 mil active =16 million EX Jws now. Still a small number compared to any mainstream Religion.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I read some where, that someone did the math from like 1950 on using the yearbooks and there something like 4+million ex jw's.

• smiddy
    smiddy

When you think about it , the first 50 year period saw a lot of people exit the religion . then the next 50 year period saw another larger exodus from the religion , then with birth of the internet their has been an explosion of people leaving the religion .Taking into account all those who left and have since died I would hazard a guess that their would be more people who have left than their are active witnesses today .

Just my 2 cents worth

smiddy

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I have run into LOTS of people who have had exposure of some sort to witnesses... rv's, bible studies, inactive....

So, why are there not more active witnesses??

Makes you wonder hey!?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit