Living - in the New World

by trevor 9 Replies latest jw friends

• trevor
    trevor

Leaving the tower was easier for me when I stopped and contemplated what the future would hold if the JWs were right after all. Everlasting life on earth under threat of death if like Adam, Eve the Devil, the Israelites in fact most of the human race, I made a mistake at any time. To live in a world run by strict elders who have been elevated to princes seemed a worse fate than death.

I tried to imagine living in a world where there were no worldly people to provide entertainment by doing all the things they would be killed for doing in a new world. Even simple family films, such as, 'The Sound of Music' & 'South Pacific' were based on war and love affairs. Would we be allowed films, theatre, novels and what would their content be? What drama would there be to write about in a world where no drama takes place in reality? I tried to imagine enjoying a novel where every character acted the same and lived like a model elder. The outcome of the story would be a foregone conclusion, and there would be no point in writing the book or reading it. Even the Bible is a book of high drama from beginning to end. It is true to life.

There has to be degree of drama and freedom to choose our path of there is no point to the exercise. Would alcohol be allowed or T-bone stake, our favourite music or freedom to talk freely, even through the Internet as we are doing now? A large part of our present short life span is occupied with growing up, youth, middle age and old age. In addition raising a family saving for retirement and so on. We are not the same for very long. In eternity we would reach a time when nothing changed, no children were born, no one passed away and we never changed; yet life thrives on change.

After a few hundred years of living in such a world people would start to break the rules out of boredom viewing the death penalty as a relief. I know there are people who think they could live in such a world stripped of all culture - over five million at present - and they are of the mind set that don't get bored, and have proved this by continuing to attend meetings and going through the same mind-numbing routine for whole lifetimes.

How will Jehu feel when he is told to ride his chariot slowly? Java is told to loose the beard and give up coffee. The thinker and his wife are told that the princes will tell them what they are allowed to think. Simons site is closed down by the thought police. Mommy, Peace, Eyes, Happy and Redhorse are told that women are not allowed to have an opinion and can only work at menial tasks under the direction of the princes (not one princess in sight) Fredhall, MD and Jr are made princes and have to share a tent with Frenchy and Larc. English man finds he is controlled by European Princes. I find the pubs open only once a year for the memorial and I am only allowed to watch!

What do you think it would be like in a new world Run by and populated by Witnesses?

Trevor

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Oh Lord, Trevor!!! What insight. Very scary. Sort of a peaceful big brother. I have to think or I will die.
    And I might be able to handle French and Larc. But let's not even go to the other place with those other princes.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

But, Trevor, I am a goddess (self-appointed, sure, but a goddess nonetheless). And I'd sneak Stephen King books in.....yeah, and Slim Jims....and I'd write my fantasy stories with dragons and such.

Of course, I'd probably last a total of 3 1/2 minutes before being fried by a celestial lightning bolt.

I think it's interesting to discuss New System logistics with JWs who are still active. Anything that makes no sense is dismissed with "Jehovah is all powerful. He will take care of everything." Even if it means that Jehovah has to suspend every "natural law" that has ever been established.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Oh, yeah, you hit on a rough one here. I sort of pictured myself slipping off to some part of the world nobody wanted and sneaking in Jimi Hendrix and Stevei Ray Vaughn when they got resurrected, and maybe Charlie Parker and a few of my favorite dead writers - kind of a little "freethinker's paradise." I was thinking maybe I'd even try to get Marily Monroe in there, you know...

One of the great things about leaving the Witnesses was not having to worry about all that nonsense anymore. It was nice to be able to love all those things freely and openly that I'd felt guilty about liking for so long.

S4

• JAVA
    JAVA

Armageddon, the First Six Months

Week One:

Armageddon was a blood bath, and we’re still checking to see how many weaker ones made it. The War of all Wars was over in 2 days, and the surviving brothers and sisters are assembling at their Kingdom Halls. The birds are eating carcasses everywhere we look. I saw a flock of crows plucking the eyes out of a baby, and pray Jehovah removes that memory as I move forward in the New World.

Week Two:

Many brothers, sisters, and their children didn’t make it. Sister Smith was always kind to me, and the only person from the Kingdom Hall who looked after the children and me when I was ill last year. It was difficult seeing her bones piercing through the remains of her rotting flesh. Her arms were still holding what was left of her 2-year old son. She often missed meetings while caring for others, and her elderly parents. I feel awful letting her care for my children and me when I was ill. Perhaps those were the meetings she needed in order to survive Armageddon.

Month One:

The elders in our area are concerned that too many are sad about loosing loved ones. They’ve formed committees to search each of our homes looking for family pictures and other items that reminds us of family and friends who died. I though about hiding a picture of my son; he would have been 23-years old today, but left the Truth 3 years ago. Of course I didn’t talk with him when he married a Catholic, and they had a child. I wonder what my granddaughter looked like? I can see the wisdom in destroying family pictures because they cause me to question Jehovah’s Organization. I’ll burn them myself, why wait for the search committee?

Month Two:

There is little time to think about the past because of long work hours. Armageddon took its toll on most buildings, and the roads are littered with debris, wrecked cars and trucks. The elders formed work details so we can clear some roads for the elders to travel to different congregations, and in time, to Brooklyn. The poor elders are busy with duties and can’t help us with most of the physical work. Some of us didn’t think it would be like this in the New System, but the elders warned us not to think about that. They said the 12-hour work routines are necessary in order to prepare the earth for paradise. I used to think Jehovah was going to provide us with a paradise earth, but I’m sure I’ll appreciate paradise more if I keep working for it. Yesterday I nodded off during the nightly meeting; I hope that didn't set a bad example.

Month Six:

We made it to Brooklyn! When the elders got there the brothers at Brooklyn said everything was going as planned. The Society is working on a new manual for the elders with detailed instructions for the various work committees. In the mean time all open roads will only be used by the Society so they can dispense food in due season to the congregations. The Society also reclaimed all vehicles that were not destroyed for this grand purpose. One of the brothers in our work detail complained about not using the roads he cleared, but the elders lovingly transferred him to another work assignment. I’m not sure where he is assigned since leaving our congregation, but the Society sent one of their vehicles and took him to another location. Jehovah is so loving; this brother got to travel on one of the roads after all.

---JAVA, counting time at the Coffee Shop

Edited by - JAVA on 22 February 2001 21:45:10

• Seven
    Seven

Great post trevor and excellent response Java!

I've often wondered, in event of the big A, if the world's nuclear power plants have adequate emergency cooling systems? Talk about the light getting brighter.

"Bring out your dead."

Edited by - sevenofnine on 22 February 2001 15:37:49

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Seven, you must remember that Jehovah will take care of it. Silly girl!

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

Wow Trevor!

That is a truly horrifying thought lol! <having Orwellian nightmares tonight>

Java,

That was brilliant! Too bad they <the GB,WTBTS> can't see how ludicrous their teachings seem when actually viewed as a real scenario involving actual humanity. If that's their idea of a loving God than can keep him!

Thanks for great posts you two.

Eyes

"One Persons Heresy Is Anothers Truth"

• mommy
    mommy

Great post Trevor!
    I find your insight to be simply amazing When I was a witness I used to have nightmares! I was at a rock concert at the same civic center we had assemblies. Having a great time listening to the rhythmic beat, then all of the sudden 2 men in suits would come up and drag me away. They took me to a back room and there was piles of JWs still in suits and dresses all dead. They told me that my punishment for being at the concert was death. It was the strangest thing because then I saw myslf laying in the pile with the others, yep I had a dress on too.
    It made me realize that I didn't want to live forever with a bunch of zombies, that is how I felt. Zombies in suits and dresses. Seven remark of the Stepford parents comes into play here too. How enjoyable would this world be if everyone acted the same? Well just my opinion on that.
    Java,
    I started crying as I read your post. I can't really explain why but I did. Maybe the thought that people can look at someone they know lieng dead and not have any sadness in their heart, just judgement. How sad.
    wendy

• Englishman
    Englishman

Hey Trevor,

I can handle being ruled by European princes, but (gasp) NO PUBS? Thats terrible! Mind you, I`m watching Liverpool v Rome right now which is why I`m not in the pub at the moment, but no footie either?

Englishman.

PS It`s still 2-0 to Liverpool, Welshman will be pleased.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit