US Air Force to Atheist: Say ‘God’ in oath or don’t re-enlist

by Dis-Member 15 Replies latest social current

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Viv, you and I know you don't really mean that.

• Viviane
    Viviane

You know exactly zero about what I mean or my life. Arrogance wrapped in ignorance.

• Twitch
    Twitch

As regards the OP, I don't think any person should be denied service in defense of their country because of their personal beliefs. Church and state should be separate but really aren't. A less than perfect world...

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

It always seemed to me that believing in God and being in the military were completely contrary to each other.

Yeah ok! Psalm 144:1 "Of David. Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Joel 1:11 "The LORD thunders at the head of his army; his forces are beyond number, and mighty is the army that obeys his command. The day of the LORD is great; it is dreadful. Who can endure it?"

1 Samuel 17:45 Verse Concepts

Then David said to the Philistine, "You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have taunted.

- See more at: http://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Armies,-God#sthash.SrgKemek.dpuf 1 Samuel 17:45 Verse Concepts

Then David said to the Philistine, "You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have taunted.

- See more at: http://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Armies,-God#sthash.SrgKemek.dpuf 1 Samuel 17:45 Verse Concepts

- See more at: http://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Armies,-God#sthash.SrgKemek.dpuf

• rebel8
    rebel8

I'm grateful that many ladies picked their battles and won me the right to vote.

• DJS
    DJS

Cadet chapels are a very important facet of all 3 of our service academies. The Cadet Chapel at West Point is historic and beautiful (I've been). The Naval Academy's cadet chapel is also historic and stunning, as is the Airforce cadet chapel. That's part of US history; it is what it is. However, the Air Force appears to be influenced by their X-tian beliefs in stating that the "so help me god" phrase is not optional. There is another view, a secular one, of this. If someone at the Air Force believes the optional phrase is not part of the original oath, they could be requiring the phrase for that reason.

The military acadmies expect cadets to follow rules exactly, without question. I personally think that X-tian beliefs are driving this, but knowing what I know about the miltary academies there could be more to it. Very nice OP, btw. Well stated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit