The 1919 issue

by confused 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

If god really did choose the WTS/JWS why hasn't anything the WTS taught or preached come true ?.

Sounds to me the Watchtower and Awake was just a marketing gimmick supported on the already established belief in the bible by turn of the century charlatans who happen to own and run their own publishing house.

Might that then be " The Truth " ???

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The higher ups were released from prison after 'a short time'.... in 1919.

I believe this is the principle "evidence", when Rutherford & Co. were released from bondage (supposedly exonerated). I think they have flip-flopped thru the years between 1918 and 1919 being the date for their "Divine Selection". The 1918 date is arrived by counting 3.5 years from Oct 1914, but there was nothing meaningful that occurred to solidify this date as important, whereas the WTS Directors being released from prison is said to correspond to their selection of the F&DS as well as being prophesied by the bones coming to life (I think that is in Ezekiel 37) and the "two witnesses" (Revelation 11).

In the past, it would have really bothered me that I couldn't recite all that from memory -- total recall. Now I guess I just don't give a sh!t.

Doc

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The thing to remember is that the 1919 nonsense is dependant upon their view of 1914 being correct.

1919 does not work without 1914.

Is 1914 provable from the Bible in any way that stands the smallest scrutiny, or roughly about 2 seconds of rational, informed thought ?

NO and NO again.

The bollocks the JW's come out with about the year itself does not stand up, and then their claims about Earthquakes and wars and disease etc, which Jesus actually says in Matthew means "the End is not yet", do not stand up either.

The whole religion is based upon claims by men that simply are utter rubbish.

Today's Governing Body are self-appointed charlatans, as were Rutherford and gang in 1919.

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

Why 1919?!?

you're kidding, right? Do you remember the Daniel book? Every paragraph seemed to tie in Daniel's "prophecies" to 1919.

That's also the year we became "smokelike." (See my thread from a few weeks ago about that made up term)

• Lemonp
    Lemonp

1919 is getting dropped THIS weekend!!

Have a look at the March WT study "learn from the illustration of the talents"

The even have a handy chart showing the old wrong explanation and the "right" understandings!

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

But now, you can see the Society is changing the language and the way they speak about 1914 and 1919. Now they are using the phrase "history shows that..." instead of trying to use the Bible to prove those dates.

Quote from Watchtower, January 15, 2014, Page 13:

After the enthroned King purged the heavens of the corrupting influence of Satan and his demons, Jehovah directed Jesus to inspect and refine the spiritual condition of his followers on earth. The prophet Malachi described this as a spiritual cleansing. (Mal. 3:1-3) History shows that this took place between 1914 and the early part of 1919.* To be part of Jehovah’s universal family, we must be clean, or holy. (1 Pet. 1:15, 16) We must keep free from any contamination by false religion or the politics of this world.

Jesus then used his kingly authority to appoint a “faithful and discreet slave.” This slave would provide a regular supply of wholesome spiritual food to all who make up the “one flock” under Jesus’ care. (Matt. 24:45-47; John 10:16) Since 1919, a small group of anointed brothers have loyally carried out the weighty responsibility to feed the “domestics.”

And now they are saying the Faithful and Discreet Slave has its authority because they took the lead!

Watchtower, November 15, 2014, Page 30:

What is the common denominator that links these references? In each case, the account refers to God’s anointed ones who took the lead during a difficult time of testing. So in the fulfillment of Revelation chapter 11, the anointed brothers who took the lead at the time of the establishment of God’s Kingdom in heaven in 1914 preached “in sackcloth” for three and a half years.
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    'Confused'....don't worry too much. It's all so confusing because it's not the truth. Real truth does not change like the weather.
  • confused
    confused

Thanks everyone. Some really helpful stuff here that I will take a lot of time to read and try to disect when I have a few spare hours! I know it is rubbish but it is the straw that broke the camels back for me in realising I simply can't accept this is the truth. Therefore in my own mind I want to understand it inside out as much as is possible. I suppose you could say it will ease my conscience if I can say I have looked at it from every angle and know for a fact I have not been misled by wicked apostates or my own sinful 'independent thinking '

Confused

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    in 1917 a band of rebels took over the Watchtower B&TS. Its president had died and infighting erupted after a surreptitious corporate grab by Rutherford. To support his larceny he concocted a pseudo-Biblical support for his actions by connecting a wacky interpretation from Revelation to himself and his unwitting conspirators. They were the chosen ones by virtue of release from prison (miraculously of course) signaling divine intervention, wha-la! deal sealed. Now every Witness must accept this litmus test of loyalty TO THIS DAY that Rutherford was Russell's successor even though no one knows who either of them are. Somehow Jesus was seriously demoted in this gambit.
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

Good method Confused, it worked for me. I told the Elder who came to see why I had stopped F.S that I could not teach 1914 as it was not in the Bible. he said he would come back to build my faith in the doctrine of 1914.

He never returned.

I could always say to others that I was waiting for him to come back to me, without ever discussing with them what the actual question was.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit