The More I Think, The More I Lose Faith In BIBLE!!

by NoMoreHustle 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NoMoreHustle
    NoMoreHustle

Sitting through this weeks WT study. Paragraph came up about how "a fire came out from Jah & consumed (korah and) the 250 men offering the incense". I said to myself this supposedly happened couple of thousand years ago. It is the year 2014 what relevance do these bible accounts or I think now made up stories have anything to do, with what is happening now?

Then the detailed account in paragraphs 8-11 about how "Timothy would not have been swayed by the actions of those apostate tendecies" & he stood for true worship. On & On it goes. It is like WT was there recording each & every aspect of what SUPPOSEDLY HAPPENED.

I really am starting to think that the whole bible thing is really starting to look more like a bunch of little stories contrived by man. Just an opinion & still trying to figure things out for myself. NMH

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Just Google "bible contradictions" that will suprise you. If that doesn't confirm for u that the bible is crap then look into all the similarities of older written stories from ancient history. Then Google the the city of Ugarit and the canaanite god named El.

• This is my tigersuit
    This is my tigersuit

i believe it is made up by man. read a book called "who wrote the bible?". it changed my whole outlook

• Terry
    Terry

Well, let's face it; Christianity did without the Bible (as an important part of worship) for 1,500 years.

Then, Martin Luther came along.

The Protestant revolution changed one major thing, if nothing else.

The Bible came to be the center of attention for "right worship" or orthodoxy RATHER THAN

the magisterium of the Catholic Church (which relied on sacred pronouncement and tradition rather than text interpretation.)

I BLAME PROTESTANTISM for making a totem out of scripture.

Sola Scriptura (each individual Christian using the Bible alone with the aid of holy spirit) was supposed to lead to true understanding.

Instead, something unforeseen happened!

(Protestant) Christians discovering the "truth" inside the Bible; they discovered nothing but their OWN INTERPRETATION

of "meaning."

Instead of one universal Church; using only the Bible and holy spirit; 41, 000 denominations (all Christian)

sprang up (each convinced THEY ALONE were right and the others were wrong.)

Ask yourself what lesson we could learn from this?

My answer is this: the Bible has nothing to offer but a reflection of what we expect to find.

• Watchtower-Free
  • opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

The Christian Bible has anything to do with what is happening now, because their last books were written for people of the end of the first century or the first half of the second century. According to the Synoptics Gospels, Jesus would come back before the end of his generation. But it did not happen, so, if Jesus said it, he was a false prophet.

On the other hand, the Hebrew Bible contains many accounts now proven to be false by archaeologists and scholars of textual criticism.

Therefore, the Bible can't be useful to guide our daily life in this modern age.

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

Remember that an open mind is the devil's favorite toy. When you open your mind, Satan jumps right into your head and will show you countless contradictions, inconsistencies, absurdities and downright silliness present throughout the Good Book.

It is important that we not exercise any rational thought when reading the Bible, for such tends to make God look bad.

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Terry is right.. There is far too much emphasis placed on the Bible Now.. There is also too much emphasis placed on "Doctrine" & "Bible Knowledge"

In a few ways Jesus showed that the current "Bible Worship" Mentality is not how it is supposed to be.

1. He never wrote anything down himself. (If he intended to create a doctrine he would have wrote it himself)

2. His father has not protected the Bible from Manipulation and Misinterpretation.. (If The Bible were Intended to be an exact Road Map for life and beliefs, Yahweh would have made sure the bible was infallible)

Acts 1:6 shows that Jesus did not place any importance on his Disciples understanding every detail of Bible Propphecy and future events..

" So when the apostles were with Jesus, they kept asking him, "Lord, has the time come for you to free Israel and restore our kingdom? 7 - He replied, "The Father alone has the authority to set those dates and times, and they are not for you to know."

He could have simply said "No Israel will not be restored at this time, it is for a future time that you are not permitted to know" instead he left them guessing, essentially ignoring their questions. They may have lived many years anticipating "the end" just as some do today.

The Book of Enoch is a fascinating Book, it contains very accurate prophecies.. Here is one interesting statement by Enoch in the book "

9 He taught men the art of writing with ink and paper, and through this many have gone astray, from eternity to eternity, and to this day.

10 For men were not created for this, that they should confirm their faith like this, with pen and ink.

11 For men were created no differently from the Angels, so that they might remain righteous and pure, and death, which destroys everything, would not have touched them; but through this knowledge of theirs they are being destroyed and through this power death consumes them."

Enoch is claiming that a fallen angel in Noah's time taught men the art of writing down their religious opinions, and he then goes on To state that this has lead many astray..

If you think about it, the Bible (And Religions based on the bible) has caused as many wars as Lust and Greed have caused.

This being said.. The whole bible is not worthless.. As a matter of fact, there are portions that are so profound, they compensate for all of the useless, contrived content.

Matthew 5-6 are the Greatest and most meaningful books ever written.. The Sermon on The mount is not truth, it is Absolute Truth. anyone that spends a good portion of their time Studying these 2 chapters and applying them in their live will see a complete transformation, and they will see God.

PM These 2 Chapters changed Leo Tolstoy's life and view point of life he went from being a Nialist to a Disciple of Christ, and in turn Martin Luther King was changed by Tolstoy's writings on these 2 Books. Other Great Sages of history have based their life and teachings on the sermon on the mount, or the Principles in the Sermon on The Mount.. (Gandhi,Tolstoy,The Dalai Lama,MLK) Even Budha came to understand these principles and he found Nirvana because of it.

Take the Scriptures with a grain of salt... Implement the good in your life, and ignore the Bad.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I really am starting to think that the whole bible thing is really starting to look more like a bunch of little stories contrived by man.

Quite right but the problem is people have a hard time discerning what and why or the probable cause of those writings.

Once you assume that the bible is a truthful viable connection with (the) god, it makes for many failing interceptions by men who are inspired to be

(the) intervening ones chosen for those interpretations .

Many times those failing interpretations have resulted in creating their own human folly of sorts. eg. .. JWS

One should keep in mind that there were ancient civilizations predating the Hebrews of Judea and their writings should be taken exclusively as their

own expressive mythological beliefs.

Being that the ancients endured through their own ignorance of the world in which they lived, gods were needed answer or necessity to full in that inherent ignorance.

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

The Bhagavad Gita says of Holy Books - " As a man can drink water from any side of a full tank, so the skilled theologian can wrest from any scripture that which will serve his purpose."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit