I still love Kingdom Melodies.

by POs Son 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

I miss some of those old marches from the 50s/60s green song book, Sword of Jehovah and of Gideon! Move ahead. Remember the choirs from the big conventions.

Molesting bees.....NOT.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

I miss some of those old marches from the 50s/60s green song book, Sword of Jehovah and of Gideon! Move ahead. Remember the choirs from the big conventions.

Molesting bees.....NOT.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

When I was very little my mom would sing, "the sign of the times" to me.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

I left the JWs in 1984 just after they got the new "baby sh_t brown" song book. But I remember the lavender coloured song book which still had a few Christian hymns. We were told that all the new songs were written by JWs and that anything that had originated in Christendom was deleted.

My grandmother had and old Bible Student hymnal and it was similar to any hymnal that you would find in a traditional Christian Church.

• POs Son
    POs Son

The old pre-1984 Pink songbook had some great tunes. I grew up in the Brown age, but still love the orchestal arrangemets of the "Melodies"... the current set of songs is abysmal.

• A.proclaimer
    A.proclaimer

There are some that have beautifully written melodies. Listening to old kingdom songs makes me nostalgic since I remember falling asleep to them as a kid. I grew up with the brown book before the change to the new one. I'm not very fond of the new songs that are always played from the new songbook, the melodies aren't that great and a lot of the older songs that appear in the new book are hardly played.

Some I like:

God's Loyal Love

Life Without End at Last

Forward you Witnesses

Zealous for Fine Works

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

The new Sing to Jehovah doesn't hold a candle to the versions of the 80s and 90

I understand what you're saying but any music from memorable events of the past (especially ones youth) can conjur up nostalgic sentiments even when we weren't having such a nice time....it doesn't mean there was anything significant about that music in itself, it just happened to be the sound track that someone decided to lay down at that time. The younger 20 and 30 something JW's of today will in a decade of so (if they aren't already) be saying the kingdom songs of the 80's and 90's was the best and are the ones they love the most. It's the same reason why older folks always think the music from their youth is so much better than the music that is currently popular.

• Tiktaalik
    Tiktaalik

I abhor them.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I don't think anyone who was hurt by their experience in the Watchtower could still have fondness for those songs. Music is so evocative - it brings back memories of field service drudgery, soul destroying meetings, even the smells of Kingdom Halls and 192 page books and all those wasted opportunities and false promises . .

No, I hate those songs and I'd suspect anyone who still 'loves' them of either not being fully 'out' or - more likely - to have been really sheltered during their time 'in'.

What say you Presiding Overseers Son?

• stillin
    stillin

I wish some of these new ones would "vanish for aye."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit