I still love Kingdom Melodies.

by POs Son 24 Replies latest jw friends

• POs Son
    POs Son

OK, at the risk of getting flamed, I have been out for over 20 years, and still love Kingdom Melodies. I remember them for the good times, the conventions and assemblies, hearing the orchestral versions, imagining the orchestra playing. Some pieces were really nice. The new Sing to Jehovah doesn't hold a candle to the versions of the 80s and 90s.

My favorites:

• 13-Christian Dedication
    • 202- To God We Are Dedicated
    • 212- We Thank You Jehovah
    • 14- Be Glad You Nations
    • 112 - Then They Will Know
    • 123-Move Ahead!
    • 193- Preach This Good News Of The Kingdom
    • 55-Daily Walking with Jehovah (esp the Orchestral version, very Celtic)
    • 208 -Song of Rejoicing
  • fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

You're right - some of them are hard to get out of your head. And some of them did express Christian aspirations in a beautiful way.

Currently I'm washing them out of my head, with Faye Wong's singing of the Buddhist heart Sutra, a link to which I've posted before, but post again for those who also need to wash kingdom melodies out of their minds.

I admit though, it will never stick like a K-M simply because I have no hope (in the diminished remainder of my life) of learning Chinese to the level where I could sing in Chinese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcscgv4wUvE

The occasion was the dedication of a huge and expensive new modern extension to the very ancient Famen Buddhist temple, all paid for by the Chinese government.

Can you imagine the all-powerful GB ever commissioning a kingdom song with Buddhist influences? (grin)

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

You need to get out more.

zed

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Kingdon Maladies.

(yes...the spelling is intended!)

• millie210
    millie210

PO's son, you must be refering to the old Kingdom Melodies...?

IF you are, I agree with you - if you mean the new ones - Im worried about you!

• Magnum
    Magnum

No flaming from me; I feel the same way you do. Some of the old melodies were extremely pretty and moving to me. I'm an extremely sentimental & nostalgic person, and it can almost make me tearful to hear those pretty melodies (like the ones you listed) now as they remind me of the time when I felt so secure and had such a wonderful hope (at least it seemed wonderful then). I remember the conventions in the eighties when I was at the peak of my belief. After the last session was over, I would lean against the rails in the upper section of the arena and watch all the activity on the floor, dreading leaving the convention and going back to the "world". The songs remind me of that time.

The new song book is absolutely disgusting.

• Twitch
    Twitch

There's an ocean of music out there.

Set a sail

• Beautiful Dreamer
    Beautiful Dreamer

Bleechhh.

That being said, there were some that had lovely melodies.

However, I would never purposely listen to or sing/hum any of them as it was part of the indoctrination process.

• awakenyr2004
    awakenyr2004

Ha! I find myself singing some from time to time.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I find most of those songs really creepy now that the blinders are off.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit