The Worst Way of Living

by Coded Logic 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Coded Logic
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

I was thinking about this today because of another thread. Like many ex JWs, I struggled with finding a way to make life meaningful after losing a belief system. What I have found works for me is to strive to make each day count. I am not going to save the world, but I can make each day as meaningful as possible, in my own small way. If I only talk to three people today I can try to connect with those three people and in some small way make their day just that little bit better, by listening to them, by being positive, by helping them in some way if I can, and often I find that someone invariably gives something back to me in some way I never expected.

It's amazing what you start to notice when you stop living in the future and start looking around at what life has to offer right now.

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

Better to wake up now than later. So much to explore. Different forms of exercise. Meditation. Diet, nutrition, ways of cooking. Hobbies etc.

Waking up to ttatt actually teaches us that life is not about some prescribed form of "spirituality". So physical things are actually more important than we used to think. Our health for instance is more important than we used to think.

Also, I think that the "truth" appealed to some competitive part of us that felt we were winning the contest of life. When we wake up we realize that we haven't been winners but actually deluded losers..... Lol. .......But still better to wake up than continue asleep. Many aren't so lucky. Many have had worse fates.

Life is all about playing the cards you are dealt. If you are still in the game, you still have a chance to come out on top.

We ex-JWs or ex-believers can focus on the lost dream too much and think that if the dream is lost then life has no purpose. It isn't that life has no purpose, it just doesn't have that purpose. It's an important distinction. We can fill that void.

The truth-thing was an experience. We see it as mainly negative of course but if we're honest it wasn't 100% negative. We are wiser now. We are less likely to chase another pipe-dream. We can offer someone else some pretty sage advice if called upon to do so. I think we come out of it more grounded and practical with an appreciation for freedom that many take for granted.

We come out with battle scars, but if we permit ourselves a next chapter, we can enter it battle-tested.

• DJS
    DJS

Coded,

I missed this OP the first time around. One of the best ever. Thanks, and thanks for bumping xjwsrock.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

My biggest regret is wasting 50years of my life in this vile cult. I think I am a little messed up in the noggin, if I'm honest. I'm sorry I raised my 3 children in the filthy, disgusting real estate scam.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit