"I don't care if it's teachings are false, I'd never leave because it's the best way of life"

by 4thgen 43 Replies latest jw friends

• 4thgen
    4thgen

Have you ever heard that statement? I have heard it many times and I just don't know what to do with it. They are chosing a to live a lie because they like the lifestyle. Besides thowing up your hands and walking away, how would you reason with someone on that?

I've gone from the angle: We got baptised because we believed it was the 'truth' from the Bible and all others taught falsehood.

and have gotten no where. Thoughts?

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Yes I have. There is no response to this; the person has drunk the koolaid and is long gone.

• Island Man
    Island Man

I have heard a milder version of it, "even if it's not the truth, it's still the best way of life", or words to that effect.

I think statements like these reveal that there may be many JWs with suppressed doubts. They know things are not right but they rationalize remaining a JW by telling themselves its the best way of life and there is no better religious organization to go to.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I would ask how their field service hours are going, and if they know anyone who is being shunned?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I would ask them why they think it's the best way of life. If it is the best why of life, why do they have such high rates of depression and suicide? Why do they have the lowest retention rate of any religion, with only 37% of young ones staying? Why is the divorce rate among Jehovah's Witnesses no better than any other group? Why do so many experience a lack of love in the congregations? Why are so many struggling financially because they did not pursue higher education?

The idea that Jehovah's Witnesses have a better way of life is fiction, it does not stand up when you look at the facts.

Incidentally, I heard about another suicide of a Jehovah's Witness, a relative of a relative. He became addicted to pain medication and was disfellowshipped. Just another victim of "the best way of life".

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Heard it many times.

It's their "bottom line" excuse for staying "in" even though they can see that the doctrinal changes and flip-flops no longer add up.

I think MANY are just going through the motions. It's their social club.....their community of friends.

As long as they never face the "blood issue" or never have the JC affect their family, they're content with living the lie.

Doc

• nicolaou
  • AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

"I don't care if it's teachings are false, I'd never leave because it's the best way of life"

Isn't this the very thing JWs condemn people in other religions for saying??

"Yes, I know my church teaches false doctrines, doesn't always follow the Bible, gets involved in wars and politics, etc., but I like being a (Catholic; Baptist; Mormon, etc, etc)...it's the best way to live".

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Ask them; "Okay,so you don't care if the teachings are false. Do you think God cares though?"

• galaxie
    galaxie

I hope those of that way of reasoning make sure they convey this to those they are preaching the troooooff to !!!??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit