Who Owns the Copyright to Crisis of Conscience?

by Hold Me-Thrill Me 32 Replies latest jw friends

• hoser
    hoser
    Just start printing it off the PDF files and selling it on line. If someone owns the rights they will come forward. Who are the legal heirs to Ray and Cynthia's estate? They would probably be the owners of his books. If there is no legal heir then the government owns the rights.
  • Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

Thanks for all the replies. I'm of the notion that to have hard copy in hand lends more credibility to the material than an electronic copy. But I recognize that may be due to what I have been accustomed to.

What a great thing it would be to have Crisis of Conscience and Christian Freedom online in PDF at least. I would think that whoever has control of the Commentary Press site may also have control of the electronic copies as well. Why not keep the tribute to Ray and Cynthia and also provide the PDF of his works?

This coming Tuesday, June 2, 2015, will be the 5th anniversary of his death. How fitting it would be if his books were made available to all who with just a click and could read what he had to say and make their own judgements.

If the owner of that site is reading this please consider expanding Commentary Press allowing it to become Ray's voice.

Frank

• steve2
    steve2

I recently downloaded a pdf version for free. I just google " Crisis of Conscience pdf". It was an updated version by Ray from around 2004.

Have you tried doing that?

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

Thanks Steve2,

I have a hard copy left me by my late wife. What I was hoping was to somehow resurrect Raymond Franz' writings for the many who have never read them.

If you have a link to what you would consider a "safe" download site for his books please, if you do not mind doing so, post it if possible on this thread.

I would still hope that the copyright owner will put his books either up for sale again, at a reasonable price, or put them on his Commentary Press site.

Thanks again.

Frank

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    If someone were to print the book would it be likely that the copyright owner would protest? It's worth a try.
  • disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy
    I've read it on pdf but really think that if I want to show anyone anything in it, the physical book would be far superior. Ridiculous prices on amazon..
  • steve2
    steve2
    Who is the (current) copyright owner?
  • steve2
    steve2

The physical book would be far superior to who?? The book is available on pdf - google it. Why quibble about whether it's available as a hard-copy book.

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

Thanks for all the input folks.

I've come to the conclusion that if Cynthia Franz really wanted Ray's books kept in the pipeline she would have appointed someone to make that so either in print or electronically. The Commentary Press site which at one time made Ray's books available both in print and electronically appears to be in a vegetative state.

Thus, it seems to me, that she made no plans to continue the publishing of his books or that perhaps Ray did not give her explicit instructions to do so.

I am therefore not going to pursue the discussion. She, they, must have had their reasons and I respect that.

Frank

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

Additionally, perhaps Ray Franz felt anyone he trusted with copyright after his death might in time add their own addendum to his works something he could not control.

This to me makes the most sense.

Frank

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit