JW Display at the Mall

by saltiest 22 Replies latest jw friends

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Jewel, nice name, the World Wrestling Federation is no longer called that its not the WWE E standing for Entertainment they lost their battle with the World Wildlife Foundation. Just thought I pass that on.

Now on the subject of the displays at the Mall, the witnesses must be disperate to get people, to invade malls is pretty low, and the mall administrators must have cookie crumbs for brains. People leave home so they don't have to confront JWs. Wow what is this world coming to.

• saltiest
    saltiest

Just thought I'd post an update. I've been to the same mall at least three times since my original post (it's hot here, gotta stay cool, dammit) and each time I've seen JW's at their little table. The last time they even had a small tv/vcr set up playing one of their gag-me videos. Also, there are different JW's each time.

The last time I noticed them (okay, so I purposely passed by their area) I walked up to them. I didn't say a word, and mindlessly glanced around the table (I didn't have the stomach to actually LOOK at the literature). Eventually the younger brother piped up and ask me if I was interesting in living forever. I had a hard time not throwing my head back and snorting in laughter. I said "sure, though it depends who I'm living with". The young guy hesitated so the older one jumped in with "in Jehovah's New Kingdom you'll be surrounded by righteous ones." Egads.

I just wanted to go, sorry I even stopped by. I get shivers being around JW's. Ech. "Well, okay, great, then I guess I'm going to live forever."

A startled look by both of the brothers standing behind the table. "Actually, Jehovah's Kingdom will only have a select few, the ones that follow his word and guidance," piped up the older one.

"Oh, well, then God knows if I'm worthy and I'll find out eventually if I get to stick around," and I tried to walk off. No such luck.

A desparate plea from the younger one (I was probably the first in days that stopped by the table) "But we can help you study the bible and increase your chances for living forever." Last time I checked this wasn't a lottery, okay?

My daughter was starting to get the "I'm bored" whine so I just said "Look, I was just curious to see what literature you have out here today. I saw an episode of Dateline a few weeks ago and have no desire to associate with a religion or organization which harbors child molestors." Finally, I got it out. I'm not one for confrontation, so I'm amazed I even said it at all.

Sputter, sputter, sputter. "Ma'am, I saw the show as well and I must tell you that those on the show can not be trusted as they are no longer considered Jehovah's Witnesses. We encourage all victims to report illegal situations to the authorities."

I wanted to scream. I'd read on here about the reactions others have had but until I heard it myself it was so hard to believe. "What if your daughter was raped by another brother, or molested by an elder and when she went to report it she was punished? What would you do? Do you not realize that if you stood by her and insisted the police know or the JW to be punished that you would be disfellowshipped? The women mentioned was disfellowshipped because she reported her abuser. How absurd! How dare you brush this off. I know for a fact through my own experience that victims are not encouraged to report things to authorities. They are DIScouraged. And they are treated like a criminal, especially if there is no other witness."

Neither one of them could say a damn thing. For once I had silenced a JW. Two even. Amazing.

I walked off all tingly and then started to giggle after a bit. All these years I've wanted to pretty much tell any and all JW's to fark off. I may not have approached them in the best of way, but at least I was able to do it in a decent manor. I hope I made them think, even if it's just for a minute.

I can't help but wonder if they'll give a little warning to all those sitting at the table in the future "watch out for the mom with a black and tan stroller." hehe

Alicia

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I haven't seen them in the mall YET, but I have seen them in Airports. They seem to have replaced the Hare Krishna's I no longer see there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit