144,000 New Light update

by goingthruthemotions 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bafh
    bafh

If they say that 144000 is symbolic and that everyone is under the covenent - then that coupled with the idea that the annointed and FDS are not the same, does that mean:

1) "anointed" will not refer to those with a heavenly hope

2) the FDS could be comprised entirely of those without the heavenly hope who could still be termed "anointed" as in "chosen"

I can't see them getting around the 144000 being symbolic when the numbers are going up and up. And, they are going to have to give up 1914. In another 5 years, no one will even attend meetings if they keep it. It will be too hard to spin. This year has been something spectacular with 100 years, blah blah blah, easy peasy spin. But every year going forward, it will be harder.

It would be nice if they just focused on being good people and not being so judgmental about how much everyone "does" - and how about encouraging people to participate in their community a bit? Nothing sets an example of what kind of person Christ was (if you believe in him) as someone doing something to help others, i.e Mother Theresa, Desmond Tutu, etc. It doesn't have to be on that grand a scale, but if the JWs wanted to - they could do something along those lines. They have the resources, they know how to organize, and they have the willing followers.

Such a waste of time, talent and resources.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

The GB will not have new light on this matter. They will stop publishing how many partake each year probably, but most likely not change it..

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

1. the number of partakers is increasing every year. ( how does the BORG explain this?

The Borg has already explained this. Here it is:

w11 8/15 p. 22 Questions From Readers

Memorial partakers. This is the number of baptized individuals who partake of the emblems at the Memorial worldwide. Does this total represent the number of anointed ones on earth? Not necessarily. A number of factors—including past religious beliefs or even mental or emotional imbalance—might cause some to assume mistakenly that they have the heavenly calling. We thus have no way of knowing the exact number of anointed ones on earth; nor do we need to know. The Governing Body does not keep a list of all partakers, for it does not maintain a global network of anointed ones.

There you go- the increasing number of partaking individuals are nutjobs- 'mentally and emotionally unbalanced'. Why concern yourselves if the number is increasing? They don't officially count anyway.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

It has always amazed me...

144000 = literal

7 headed beast = symbolic

etc...

They just pluck some of revelation and say it is LITERAL, then other stuff is SYMBOLIC!

lack of consistencey!

• alfredjones100
    alfredjones100

we had our CO visit recently and first half of the sunday GB scripped service talk was dicated to change. how doctrinal change proves we are in the truth. the GB over the years has conditioned the average brother and sister to accept any change. they use many different methods as you all know and ultimately if it sounds just too hard believe, the "where else will we go" put out there. we all know that even we (who concider ourselves mentally free) still feel twinges of guilt or remorce or some other pavlovian dog reaction from time to time, so what about the other fully in. i'm sorry friends but the GB could say in print that they are real apostles or that we're all going to mars to live and it would be accepted as "new light". thinking for yourself is banned, so no one does it any more.

• metatron
    metatron

I'm truly amazed - or just appalled - at what Witnesses will believe. They could throw Rutherford under the bus and Witlesses would rejoice uncritically, "woo-hoo, we can all partake now!" or "I always thought so !" A few old timers will be upset but they'll take it to their graves and never rebel.

They can get away with it if they want.

metatron

• Paris
    Paris

Its hard to get a perspective, unless you research what the real Churches are spending money on, you know the churches who actually do charitable works and help people ? How much $$ do Protestants as a whole, or individual denomination like Baptists, spend on their Misssions ?

How much do they spend on supporting Missionaries and Outreach Workers ? Or building villages in Africa ? How much do they spend locally helping the homeless and running Day Care Centres or Retirement Homes ? Those churches have open books with transparency and congregations vote. No, I mean, really vote, not WT style.

I get the impression there is zero transparency and accountabilty for the Watchtower Corporation ? Whose got the Books ? Who makes the decisions ? Why is nothing up for a vote ? Individual witnesses are asked to pledge money but have no say in how it is spent ? Really ? In America ? In England ? In Europe ? How is this possible ?

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Maybe the money is symbolic too..

• Fernando
    Fernando

There must at least be some uncanny power in the koolaid "mother" has "lovingly" prepared.

Otherwise how can one explain that almost anyone and everyone else can see that 144,000 is not a literal number, and that heaven and earth are included in the "one hope" of scripture?

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

I don't understand what the literal 144k and all the increasing millions being spent on special pioneers, CO's, etc, have to do with each other?

Can you explain?

??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit