Ten Commandments

by EA916 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Do you know the Ten Commandments? Obviously not.

Of course I do (although you didn't specify which version, there is more than one). However, you said "I believe the law of God is eternal" and said that you try to keep them. The 10 commandments, either version, is not "the law of god".

If you didn't mean the law, then you shouldn't have said that. You should have said something else to specify what you meant. If you don't keep to the laws I mentioned then you obviously don't keep to the law of God, which is fine, but it's not the same thing as what you said.

I am embarrassed for you.

When that rank as something I care about I'll be happy to let you know.

• EA916
    EA916
    Haha take it easy Viviane. Let's take this one step at a time. We have to understand that we live in a different day and age. The culture back then was different. I am talking about the ten commandments that God wrote with his finger on the tablets of stone. (Exodus 20) Read if you must. My question was, should we still be keeping the 10 commandments? God's Word speaks of two great laws. Law number 1 is the law of God (the ten commandments, or Two tablets of the Testimony,) also known as the moral law and the Decalogue. Law number 2 is the Law of Moses (the “Book of the Law,” or “Book of the Covenant”), also known as the Mosaic Law, the Ordinances and the Ceremonial Law. And next time Viviane, make sure to put Bible text on where you are getting your information from. Thanks.
  • Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

Viviane: However, you said "I believe the law of God is eternal"

NO! You are misquoting me. Go back and read it again. I said: I believe the Ten Commandments are eternal.

The discussion is the Ten Commandments and I kept to it. You are reading what YOU want to see not what is actually on the page.

Read more carefully.

• EA916
    EA916

NO! You are misquoting me. Go back and read it again. I said: I believe the Ten Commandments are eternal.

The discussion is the Ten Commandments and I kept to it. You are reading what YOU want to see not what is actually on the page.

Read more carefully.

Yes she should read it more carefully. Anyways, So Frank, what denomination are you representing if I may ask?

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

EA916,

I am a follower of Christ in association with Jehovah's Witnesses. Recognizing that the religion I associate with is very much like the first century Jews during Jesus' day. Rule keeping and with a strong tendency toward thinking too much of itself. A tendency common among all men but it should not be among those who claim to be disciples of Christ.

I do not believe in the Trinity. I believe in a restored earth. I believe in a resurrection to heaven and to earth. I believe we are living in momentous times. I do not believe in an invisible presence. I believe Christ's return will be obvious to all and is not too distant.

Frank

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

I feel like the answer to your question rests within the fact that the Ten Commandments, supposedly written as you say, "by gods finger" say nothing at all extraordinary. There is nothing special about them.

The first four are specifically religously concerned, and none of the laws were unique because many cultures long before God wrote these oh so wise words had laws just like them, one of which was Egypt, the land from which they allegedly had just come. The one time God actually writes something himself and all he manages to do is copy off of humans? Not very impressive for an all wise and all powerful deity.

Further, if you would be willing to submit yourself to such an archaic and barbaric standard then you would have to be willing to accept the consequences of violating it. Thus I expect it wouldn't be long before you were stoned to death, unless of course you wished to ignore that unpleasant part. But then you wouldn't be truly living by the standard would you?

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Let's take this one step at a time. We have to understand that we live in a different day and age. The culture back then was different

So? Is God's law eternal or not? If it is, then culture has exactly zero to do with anything.

I am talking about the ten commandments that God wrote with his finger on the tablets of stone.

But you said "the law of God" and that's what I was addressing. Keep the 10 commandments if you want to, I don't care. I was discussing the other thing you mentioned.

If you don't keep the law of God, that's fine. You just said you did and found that curious.

And next time Viviane, make sure to put Bible text on where you are getting your information from. Thanks.

Next time you post to me, please be sure to keep your incorrect assumptions about my mood and attitude to yourself.

• Viviane
    Viviane

You are correct. I mixed up you EA in my responses. Apologies.

The discussion is the Ten Commandments and I kept to it. You are reading what YOU want to see not what is actually on the page

EA916 said he kept the law and that it was eternal. I was addressing that. It was on topic. I simply mixed up my response to you gents.

Read more carefully.

Good advice, always. I hope you keep to that advice as well.

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

Jonathan Drake,

The Ten Commandments say nothing about stoning, they have no punishments. This is what makes them eternal. The Law of Moses was written for the time they lived in not for all time. This is why Jesus could generally abrogate them while keeping the Ten Commandments in place.

Jesus taught repentance and forgiveness not stoning. It makes perfect sense then that the Ten Commandments being eternal do not include stoning.

The Ten Commandments bar the making of images something quite common at the time. For those of us who find something good in them there is good. For those who wish to find fault there is fault. Let us all find what we find.

Respectfully,

Frank

• Viviane
    Viviane
    The Ten Commandments say nothing about stoning, they have no punishments. This is what makes them eternal.

That is the fallacy known as "not even wrong". There conclusion doesn't follow from the premise, indeed the conclusion and the premise are so unrelated as to not even make sense. The prohibition on mixing types of fabric also doesn't carry punishments or stoning threats, yet it is not eternal.

It's "not even wrong" because there is to way to determine whether or not it's even possible to determine whether it's right or not.

Jesus taught repentance and forgiveness not stoning. It makes perfect sense then that the Ten Commandmentsbeing eternal do not include stoning.

Slow down there, turbo dog. Jesus taught that the whole of the law, ALL of it, was perfect and would not pass away. That means the stonings, too. Are you disagreeing with Jesus?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit