problem

by zanex 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• zanex
    zanex

I now have to inform my parents that I am getting a divorce. Am not really looking forward to it. I already told my sister and suprisingly enough she supports me! That was kinda odd but anyway I know that the reaction from dear ol mom and dad isnt goin to be as pleasant. Worst part is that I am gonna do it by email. I dont think I could handle an actual phone call with them. I know that I shudnt care at all what my parents do or dont think about me but some part of me still wants to believe that somewhere inside that stony wall of dubdom that my parents have built up is a soft spot for me. Of course the other 98 percent of me isnt quite so optimistic. Anybody got any ideas as to how to break it to them? I am out of ideas this first 2 weeks has been the hardest 2 weeks of my life hahahaha. Glad to be away from HER but miss my daughter. Anyway..I am delirious at this point only got about an hour of sleep last nite or shud i say this morning. Anyway there it is...comments, suggestions, a bad joke perhaps?

-Z-

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Why are you missing your daughter? You are seeing her every day arent you? If not, why not?

• zanex
    zanex

SHE wont let me see my daughter unless SHE is there and it is on HER terms. Gonna have to take this to a lawyer i know. I have seen my daughter like 3 or 4 times over the last 2 weeks. That is the least amount of time that I have spent with her ever...

-Z-

• LDH
    LDH

Zanex,

Sorry dude. You can call this am if you'd like.

Lisa

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Sorry Zanex, that is horrible. How is it that she has control over when you see your own daughter? If she does have this control (legally?), why is she excercising that control to hurt her own daughter?

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Zanex, I'm so sorry. I don't have children of my own, but just can't imagine keeping ANY child away from a good parent.

I say get a good lawyer to help you attain your parental rights.

In regards to your parents, why do you have to "break" the news to them. Are they going to be supportive to you? If not, then let them know through the grapevine. If they want to discuss it, they can come to you. Before you contact them, ask yourself: What are you trying to accomplish? If it's just to get it off your chest you may have more loving people you can share the news with.

I don't know the whole situation with your folks. I'm just going through a huge deal with mine lately and have had to "take care of myself". Which meant NOT sharing some of my heartache with them. It just gives them reason to kick me while I'm down.

Just something to think about...

Andi

• zanex
    zanex

lisa: hey u..I'll call at some point. promise
    sixofnine:I dont think she has the legal rights to do any of this but I am the one who moved out and am now couch surfin. So I am not exactly living what ud call a stable life at the moment.
    billygoat:as for my parents it will be worse if I dont tell them myself cuz my soon to be exwife cant keep her fu*&%@ mouth shut. Sigh oh well I guess that life. Guess im doomed to be single forever heh heh...that isnt too bad I guess.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Zanex,

How old is your daughter, if you don't mind my asking? My daughter is 3, and I've been separated 18 months (the divorce is going through the paperwork stages right now). Anyhow, work really hard to keep up your relationship with your daughter! (I trust you were going to.) I see my daughter one day (and often overnight) each weekend, and the hard work has been repaid several times over. Her love often is what has kept me going. Please e-mail me if you want to talk more -- [email protected].

-J.R.

Don't let yesterday use up too much of today.--Will Rogers, 1879-1935

• zanex
    zanex

my little girl is 16 months. I absolutely DO want to be a big part of her life. I love that little girl more than myself.

-Z-

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik
    Why are you missing your daughter? You are seeing her every day arent you? If not, why not?
    work really hard to keep up your relationship with your daughter!
    my little girl is 16 months. I absolutely DO want to be a big part of her life. I love that little girl more than myself.

Gosh, you guys keep talking like this
    and I'm gonna end up respecting you.
    As will your daughters, I'm sure.
    (Especially if you do everything you can to follow through!)

I don't have a daughter, but I am one.
    And have a wealth of experience in
    'raising my parents' through the
    whole ugly divorce / parental visitation
    thing.

Daddy's mean one helluva lot to their little girls psyches.
    More than they can possibly imagine or grasp.
    Definitely keep in mind that ol' saying that
    'actions speak louder than words'.

Let the ex say what she will.
    You be the bigger man.
    As your little bambina grows up, she will see the dif, even if she primarily lives with her mother.
    Even if subjected to 'hate' propaganda against you.
    This realization can take a long time but your consistent actions now and over the long term, can ensure it happens.

I could go on and on...but ya know...judging from the warm fuzzies in your comments above...you guys are already on the right track and don't seem to need anywhere near as much "raising" as my parents did.

BOOYAH!

Zanex, as for telling your parents about your divorce...
    Hmmm...my first thoughts were to fight fire with fire...
    After i got some vindictive thoughts outta my system, i thought, well, of your daughter....maybe try including them in on
    being a positive factor in the situation ('specially where your daughter is concerned) before they have a chance to be too negative a factor? What could you say to them, that will get them thinking less about criticizing your divorce and more about loving and supporting your precious daughter, their grandchild?

Could you simply state...."___ and I are separated and will be getting a divorce." If they argue, refute, belittle or anything negative, don't even acknowledge such statements as if they deserve a response. Keep your cool, (it's amazing how empowering self-control is) and redirect to a positive (take the high road). "I'm sure you would agree that the most important thing here is helping (daughter's name) get through this. I welcome any upbuilding love and support you can give her." If they keep being negative, just keep repeating yourself on this. They'll eventually shut up.

i dunno. i guess i don't really know the dynamics of your relationship with them in order to help much on this question, so i'll just shut up now.

Ultimately, if your parents don't show you love, respect, or support,,,well, the best advice i can think to give is...break that chain. Start a new chain, for your daughters sake. Show her by your example, how it should be done. Seek out ways to teach yourself how to do this for yourself and for your daughter. How can you and your daughter, starting right now, begin a new, functional, supportive way of family life?

The next question to ask yourself might be,
    "How can i change the comment "I absolutely DO want to be a big part of her life" into "I absolutely AM a big part of her life". "What can I do right this minute, this day, this week, about that?"

YOU CAN DO IT MAN!

(ok, i'm ACTUALLY gonna shut up now. lol.)

SPAZ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit