• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

What is infinity doubled?

What is infinity halved?

Somebody humour me please!

• D8TA
  • JanH
    JanH

infinity doubled or halved is still infinity.

- Jan
    --
    - "How do you write women so well?" - "I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability." (Jack Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets")

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Jan H. is right. If it sounds strange, think of it as being like the opposite extreme: zero.

Zero halved is still zero. Zero doubled is still zero. The way of getting there is a little different, but the results are the same.

LoneWolf

• dmouse
    dmouse

Ah! But what happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?

(I know the answer to this btw - think logically)

• Fatal Error
    Fatal Error

The irressistable force would be dragged to the immovable object?

• dmouse
    dmouse

But the force is irresistible (either towards or away from), so the object cannot resist the push/pull and MUST move.

• Amazing
    Amazing

It depends on the 'infinite' thing you are dealing with. Conceptually, a general statement about infinity, or zero, as JanH and Lonewolf stated is correct.

If you specify, in a geometrical sense, an infinite line, and you double it, then you have two infinite lines. Your length does not increase, but the number of lines doubles. This is true in reverse, if you have two infinite lines, and reduce this by 50%, you are back to one infinite line.

• xyzzy
    xyzzy

The irresistible force/immovable object thing is impossible. If a force is irresistible, then the immovable object cannot exist in the same universe, and vice versa. The existence of one precludes the existence of another.

• Farkel
    Farkel

dmouse,

: Ah! But what happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?

In my case the answer was "divorce."

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit