The new "Generation" doctrine

by Dawn 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Dawn
    Dawn

Could someone explain to me how the Generation doctrine changed? I know that originally they thought it applied to the generation of 1914 and I heard that it changed. I asked my dad to explain it to me but his explanation didn't make any sense to me - something like "a generation can last forever" ??? Can someone here be more specific?

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Hi Dawn

the explanation given in the Watchtower is total gobbledegook. It says something like any "generation" that sees the "sign" will be the "generation" which sees "Armageddon".

What a great preophecy!

However I was told by and elder and ex-Circuit Overseer that the "real" explanation is that Jesus prophecy only applied to the 1st Century and has no implication for our day.

At least that makes sense.....the WT explanation is pure and simple rubbish.

BUT....at least it got me FREE! Thats the WT that convinced me to Get OUT!!

The Pope

• LB
    LB

It appears they want you to believe that a generation can last several human lifespan generations.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• JanH
    JanH

In the Watchtower for November 1st, 1995, much space is dedicated to explain away the fact that the generatioon that could not die, have, indeed, died. It admits past speculation, but does not admit the Watchtower Society had any part in it.

"Eager to see the end of this evil system, Jehovah's people have at times speculated about the time when the "great tribulation" would break out, even tying this to calculations of what is the lifetime of a generation since 1914. However, we bring a heart of wisdom in," not by speculating about how many years or days makeup a generation, but by thinking about how we "count our days" in bringing joyful praise to Jehovah." (Watchtower 11/1 1995 page 18)

This trick of blaming the rank & file Witnesses is well-tried and trusted. The same article even goes on to say:

"Does our more precise viewpoint on "this generation" mean that Armageddon is further away than we had thought? Not at all! Though we at no time have known the "day and hour," Jehovah God has always known it, and he does not change." (ibid, page 20)

This statement is so absurd it says a lot about the numb state of the JWs' minds that it can be uttered without an uproar of protest. Everybody even vaguely affiliated with the JWs knows that they have been expecting the end to come shortly every year the movement has existed. 1914, 1925, 1975 and many other dates have been major disappointments, which is even admitted in some Watchtower publications. That the next sentence, 'God does not change,' is used to support the idea that the WTS did not expect the end much earlier, is clear evidence of a major confusion in the Watchtower Society leadership. They think they are Jehovah God.

How long is the "generation" now, anyway? The Watchtower answers:

"Therefore, in the final fulfillment of Jesus' prophecy today, "this generation" apparently refers to the peoples of earth who see the sign of Christ's presence but fail to mend their ways." (ibid, page 19)
    Most individual Jehovah's Witnesses fail to see that the statement about the end coming "soon" is now empty and void. The above "definition" of a generation can be just as true hundreds of years from now. Even the fulfillment of Fred Franz' statement that it could go a million years will not leave this prophecy violated when the word "generation" is left meaningless as above.

What is buried in the verbose Watchtower-article is the fact that the doctrine about the 1914-generation is now finally fallen. In the accompanying Awake! magazine of November 8th 1995 the masthead of the magazine was silently changed. Note the difference (bold added):

Before
    "Why AWAKE! Is Published Awake! is published for the enlightenment of the entire family. It shows how to cope with today's problems. It reports the news, tells about people in many lands, examines religion and science. But it does more. It probes beneath the surface and points to the real meaning behind current events, yet it always stays politically neutral and does not exalt one race above another. Most important, this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure world before the generation that saw the events of 1914 passes away."

After
    "Why AWAKE! Is Published Awake! is published for the enlightenment of the entire family. It shows how to cope with today's problems. It reports the news, tells about people in many lands, examines religion and science. But it does more. It probes beneath the surface and points to the real meaning behind current events, yet it always stays politically neutral and does not exalt one race above another. Most important, this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure world that is about to replace the present wicked, lawless system of things."

- Jan
    --
    - "How do you write women so well?" - "I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability." (Jack Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets")
  • cyrano
    cyrano

Another false prophesy bites the dust...

• larc
    larc

hey JanH,

Good ta see ya back. I notice you go into chat, but this is your first significant post in a long time. I appreciate your contributions and your analytical abilities. In other words, I really like your shit.

Welcome back big guy.

Larc - of the humble, but proud class.

• jerome
    jerome

I think that you are neglecting to mention the fact that the Watchtower has thought out this change very well.

I dont have it with me but the insight book has a definition of generation which is much more reasonable than the one you provided.

If anyone has the insight book on them they will see what I mean.

jerome

The Bible is a two edged sword wield it for evil and there may be hell to pay.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Jan,

I hope you get to read this post of appreciation for your post above. I also read a recent post of yours on Kent's board which also was a very thoughful and thought-provoking one. Please let's have more. Every one helps others to see the truth about 'the troof'.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• VM44
    VM44

Hi JanH,

Good post. Do you have a reference where Fred Franz said that
    "...it could go a million years will not leave this prophecy
    violated "?

--VM44

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Yea, what a Joke that entire 'generation' thing was. I remember standing in the back of the KH during that WT study, NO one in the audience even showed a glimer of understanding, just repated the tripe in the WT. The fellow standing next to me looked over and said "well, I guess they got themselves out of that one easily" (refering to the fact that all the 1914 people are almost gone). I just grined and nodded. What a joke!

"this generation" apparently refers to the peoples of earth who see the sign of Christ's presence but fail to mend their ways."

Ha ha. Meaningless tripe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit