Did You Believe That You Were Going To Live Forever?

by minimus 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Dagney
    Dagney

Paradise was such a nice thought...frolicking with wild life, being able to pursue delayed interests... But I didn't see how "paradise" could work. My head would start to explode when I started thinking how we would have to trade services and trades in order to live like the pictures in the books. Then eventually it would be just like life today...except it would be like living in one giant, bland earthwide Bethel. Beth-hell.

No, I didn't see myself there, no matter how hard I tried to do that. And besides as a teen, a CO told our congregations that only 1/3 of it were going to make it. Thinking about that now, I'm sure that damaged any sort of hope I had in everlasting life.

• Paris
    Paris

The JW "New World" would be like North Korea with babbling brooks and piles of fruit and the same old meetings and magazines and judicial committees and lists of rules and elders to enforce them. It would be like one big prison camp your were held captive in for a thousand years.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I agree Paris, now I look at it all with hindsight.

Mind you, I can remember saying to an Elder when I was active that if Paradise was as portrayed I would not want to live there, he said "Yea I agree, if it is a sort of Bro "Nazi-Elder"* Heaven I don't want it either".

(* he named a guy in our congo who was a pain, a 100% "Society" man, loved all the rules & regs)

But in answer to the O.P, as a born-in I did think it were possible, but I always thought I might be judged as unworthy of living there, the old JW "I am not doing enough" guilt I guess.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit