A STRANGE thing happened on the way to the Psychiatrist...

by PaintedToeNail 20 Replies latest jw friends

• theopug
    theopug

Very unusual that a JW is a Psychiatrist.

I grew up in New England and knew of only one. He was somewhat of an expert in depression. And was also Presiding Overseer (older term for COBE) of his congreation while treating various brothers and sisters.

This Eleder became somewhat of a stat in the local area. BOEs all over the circuit and beyond would consult with him regarding members who were depressed or abuse survivors.

I sort of wonder if the above story is about the same person ? Its possible.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Wow, good story.

Was he a convert after he became a psychiatrist?

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I would think having people come to u and mention things of ttatt when their disillusioned and needing help would eventually make a person wake up.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It's not surprising that an educated person, who had treated many Jehovah's Witnesses would eventually leave, he must have had a front row seat to the hidden reality of "Jehovah's happy people". Who knows, maybe you planted a seed. It's good he realized the conflict of interest, it's just too bad he didn't realize the conflict of interest in treating you, criticizing you for wanting to leave was totally wrong.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

...............A JW Psychiatrist??!!..

A Psychiatrist who needs a Psychiatrist??!!..

............Thats just messed up!..LOL!!

............................................................ photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• jam
    jam

I wonder how long was he a Psychiatrist or how long was

he treating JW's. Doctor I'm being attack by demons, you

understand...Evil is all around us, Satan is trying to wear me down,

do you have some drugs(I mean pills) that you can prescribe..

And then you have those brothers and sisters, give me a break on

the fees, I'm a pioneer give a brother a break....

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

PaintedToeNail,

What a wonderful story!

My husband went to a witness therapist who diagnosed him with ADD (he posts here as Still TotallyADD). As a result of her diagnosis and medication he began to wake up to the TTATT. That therapist had him sign a paper that she would divulge to his elders anything that was a disfellowshipping offence. The last I heard she was still a JW and a regular pioneer.

Reopened Mind

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

OneEyed-I don't think it was me who changed his mind, so I won't take credit for it. He became a JW after he was a practicing doctor. When he said he had only been a JW for about 5 years, I couldn't believe it, it seemed so at odds with intelligence. Your are right, when one can no longer tolerate being force fed, it can be an expolsive force to be reckoned with.

joe134cd-This doctor does have at least one daughter. I don't know his ethnic background, other than to say American. He doesn't sound like he has a German accent.

theopug-It doesn't seem like it can be the same person, this guy wasn't in long enought to be a Presiding/COBE elder. I don't believe he ever was an elder.

Lisa-It wasn't a conflict of interest for the doctor at the time, as my hubby was the actual patient-not me. It was in his queries as to my hubby's mental state that the comment was made because of upsetting the status quo. It was hurtful and demeaning and left me angry.

Reopened-That is horrible! One really good reason to NEVER see a JW secularly for a personal problem. There was an article years ago in the Borg literature that JW's in the medical field should divulge personal details of private, protected conversations as a sign of loyalty to God. That is why I mentioned the HIPAA regulations to him before I started talking.

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

PaintedToeNail,

You were smart to mention HIPAA to the doctor. My husband was so desparate for help he would have agreed to almost anything. Besides he trusted the therapist and didn't have any df'ing offense to divulge.

Reopened Mind

• LV101
    LV101

An ex-witness friend told me yrs. ago her witness friend back in Ohio returned to college and med school to become a psychiatrist so she'd be able to deal with the witnesses and stress. I definitely could understand one needing a degree in psychiatry but hard to believe she remained a JW. Who knows for how long.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit