A STRANGE thing happened on the way to the Psychiatrist...

by PaintedToeNail 20 Replies latest jw friends

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

He's gone apostate! As some may remember, when I started my fade, my husband freaked out and thought I was going to leave him. He wanted to see someone about our marriage. Unbeknownst to me, he spoke with an elder at the Kingdom Hall who recommend a psychiatrist to him. He told me he made an appoinment with a therapist and I agreed to go with him. Hubby never told me the Doc was a JW. After meeting the Doc and finding out, I was rather ticked, to say the least and felt very betrayed.

The Doc asked why I left, and I told him I didn't really feel comfortable telling him anything since he was a JW, but reminded him of the HIPAA laws that prevented him from disclosing anything that I told him to the elders. The subsequent conversation(s) delved into all the doubts and inconsistancies within the Organization, the control and fear mongering and so on. He made a rather desultory comment about me wanting to do my own thing at the expense of my family, which was really angering. My doubts and concerns were from the time I was a little child and my decision to abruptly fade wasn't taken lightly, knowing the consequences defecting could easily bring-shunning from every single person I've ever known. After several decades of trying to swallow everything from the GB, my health and mental state were shot, I couldn't live a lie anymore.

Anyway, it is now several years later, I had stopped going with hubby after about 3 visits, not feeling the need to be insulted any longer. Hubby stopped going about a year ago. Recently, he needed a refill on his meds. He called for an appointment, as this Doc doesn't like to do refills without seeing the patient personally. Two weeks later an envelope comes in the mail from the office, addressed to hubby, but since I take care of all bills, I opened it, expecting to have an invoice to pay. Instead it was a brief mesage saying: "Due to a conflict of interest, the Doctor felt it was necessary to have hubby see another doctor. Please understand." I was surprised. I thought that the Doc didn't want to see him because of me, as the District Convention was freshly over and the talks on apostates were just brought out, that I was the conflict of interest. Immediately calling hubby, he seemed curiously undisturbed about the letter, and rather aloof when I wondered what had transpired. After several queries, when I finally came out with it and said I wonder if he felt I was the conflict of interest because I refuse to attend any longer or if perhaps the Doc got DF'd, Hubby finally came clean, the Doctor had sent in a letter removing HIMSELF from the congregation! What a surprise to me! He had known for several weeks and never said anything, hoping I would never find out.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Where's the conflict of interests? There probably isn't another doctor better suited to help your husband.

Just goes to show that it's just a ticking clock for how long inteligent/educated people can keep up the mental acrobatics necessary to stay in this cult.

• jam
    jam

That is so funny, that's why a JW shouldn't go to

a psychiatrist. You gave a good witness to the JW psychiatrist.

It's strange he was a psychiatrist and a JW...

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Just wondering this psychiatrist want a German guy with 2 daughters.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Tick tock, GB. Tick tock.

• jam
    jam

Londo: yes, the GB and Adolf Hitler. The last days of the war,

Hitler in his bunker given orders to his Army. Hitler, suffering

from mental illness giving orders to an imaginary army...

• out4good3
    out4good3

Isn't it a wonder how JW will compartmentalize and keep secret any development that reflects negatively upon the organization out of one side of their mouth while trumpeting the errors and issues of other religious organizations?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Yeah, it's amazing how the pressure from the organization can get you to say things that you don't even believe yourself. I had a number of doubts as far back as I can remember, but if anyone else brought them up I'd always tow the company line with the canned responses. It's not until those doubts hit critical mass and explode that anything externally noticable happens.

I think I've mentioned it before, the system seems designed so that thinking people will have this type of sudden explosion where they've been holding in a growing number of doubts until it's suddenly too much. That drives them to actions that seem sudden to everyone around them because of the fear of talking about your doubts. That sudden action then serves to reinforce the "mentally diseased" label that they love to stick on appostates. When a thinking person finally explodes and either speaks out, DAs or gets DF'd, the fears of the appostates are only reinforced to the R/F. It strengthens the image that not only are these people mentally diseased (what else could explain such a sudden shift in their thinking?) but also that it's contagious and to be avoided.

Congrats to PTN, though, for the role you may have had in saving this man's life from being further wasted in the cult.

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Another Intelligent JW Jumps Ship.

• sporece
    sporece

Long live the internet...the savior from cults

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit