JW's Kicked out of Ground Zero!

by Mister Biggs 33 Replies latest social current

• blondie
    blondie
    about 70 people sought refuge at the world headquarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses

All jws (with jw ID) and maybe non-jw spouses and children.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

A

Ministryof

Comfort

During the days after the tragedy, about 900,000 of Jehovah’s Witnesses in the United States made a determined effort nationwide to offer comfort to those who were grieving. Love of neighbor moved them to comfort mourning ones. (Matthew 22:39) In their ministry they have also endeavored to point to the only true hope for distressed humanity.—2 Peter 3:13.

The Witnesses were compassionate in their approach to the public. Their intention was to offer comfort from the Scriptures and imitate the refreshing example of Christ, who said: “Come to me, all you who are toiling and loaded down, and I will refresh you. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am mild-tempered and lowly in heart, and you will find refreshment for your souls. For my yoke is kindly and my load is light.”—Matthew 11:28-30.

Groups of elders from local Manhattan congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses were allowed into the Ground Zero area to talk to and comfort the rescue workers there. The response was very favorable. These ministers commented: “The men had tears in their eyes as we shared scriptures with them.” Rescue workers were recovering on a boat at a marina. “The men were looking so lost, with their heads bowed, just not able to cope with what they had seen. We sat down with them and shared texts from the Bible. The men thanked us so much for coming, saying that they really needed this comfort.”

People contacted after the tragedy often wanted something to read, and thousands of brochures were given to them freely. Some of these were WhenSomeoneYouLoveDies,WillThereEverBeaWorldWithoutWar?, and DoesGodReallyCareAboutUs? Also, the cover series in two issues of Awake! were given special attention: “The New Look of Terrorism” (May 22, 2001) and “Coping With Post-traumatic Stress” (August 22, 2001). In many cases the Witnesses explained the Bible’s hope of a resurrection. (John 5:28, 29; Acts 24:15) Perhaps millions of people were reached with this comforting message.....more from the 1/8/2002 awake!

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    Also, the cover series in two issues of Awake! were given special attention: “The New Look of Terrorism” (May 22, 2001) and “Coping With Post-traumatic Stress” (August 22, 2001).

I am only joking here, but it does look like that the JWs knew that something was going to happen.

AGAIN, I am JOKING.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I lived downtown. NO WAY! New Yorkers are famous for feeling rules don't apply to them, particularly at historical events. People line up for many hours to see a Woody Allen film just to be able to brag about seeing it first. I always chat up the NYPD. No one chatted. Tension was so high, breaching the security lines, would not bring a reprimand. Arrest would follow and the person would be arraigned before a judge who would throw the book at such silliness. Catholic chaplins were there as part of the NYPD and NYFD. They were not outsiders. How many people who worked at the financial center or served in the paramilitary would be JWs?

Everyone wanted to shower the families and rescue workers with cash, flowers, food, Broadway shows, benefit concerts, etc. 9/11 was depressing b/c no access or help was allowed.

I lived on 12th St. The WTC used to be visible from my corner. I had to show all sorts of id by the police to enter my neighborhood. No visitors were allowed. No cars could be driven below 14th street. My local park, Union Square, became a gathering for a nightly vigil b/c it was the closest people could get to the WTC. No one, besides residents, could go below the north side of 14th Street.

The Red Cross provided all sorts of spiritual services. The task at hand was rescue and recovery. One of my favorite Manhattan churches, St. Paul's, which is almost as old as white Manhattan, became a centralized site for recuperation and prayers of rescue workers. I cannot believe a single priest spoke to anyone about conversion to Anglicanism. The sad part is that I believe that certain Bethelites, factory workers, had the skill level to help in recovery.

JWs love to accept community blessings such as the First Amendment, corporate laws in various countries, police, fire and sanitation service. Yet they will never accept that they are community leeches. My father was so proud of his ministerial exemption and his JW preaching. Rights he would not have in Japan or Germany. It was fine that other men gave their lives or suffered deep trauma. Imagine the witness if NYers saw them cleaning up debris out of love. Other religions cleaned up debris. CULT,

I lived in NYC for more than 40 years. This is overly personal to me. Liars, Liars, pants on fire. Besides, people who rarely go around singing "God Bless America" and flying flags did so. Tensions were high. I can see rules being used against them, not for them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit