Smiling at a Disfellowshipped JW instead of Completely Ignoring him

by ProfCNJ 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• outforever
    outforever

Always said hi and even a talk - funny thing is as I said in another post about not being invited to my nephews wedding - when he was d/f I spoke to him - now the foot is on the other shoe and he does not do the same - I got d/f because when the elders wanted to speak to me about my diffirent way of thinking - I called him him up and told him that surely after all these years of being in the so called truth he can see that it is not! so end of story for me. Anyway others get d/f for "other things" and think that they are all right.

Yes thank god for apostates we get all the d/f going.

• prologos
    prologos

at the hall we often have to sit in the for the 'disfellowshipped section', close to the exit, close to the washrooms because of the little one's needs. so

having to squeeze past the dfs at the end of the aisle requires by human decency to mutter a "thank you" with a genuine smile.

who would dare to challenge that?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

It's nice, I suppose, that y'all smile at disfellowshipped people. It's certainly better than pretending they're invisible, or worse, giving them dirty, disapproving looks.

But, if you don't actually talk to them you are still shunning them. You are still under the control of a cult.

This injures them and it injures you:

Ostracism Hurts: The Psychological Costs of Ignoring or Excluding Others

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Devil's advocate here, I read an account where a df'd person said they hated it when people tried to smile or talk to them, as they were desperately trying to be reinstated and didn't want ANYTHING to hinder that. Being seen talking to a member of the congregation could've shown a contemptuous attitude for the df'ing arrangement.

jus' sayin'.

• bigmac
    bigmac

i got a good idea----when a d/f person sits in a KH--put a cardboard box over their head so no bruv can see their face--and thus be tempted to smile at them.

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

On the was to the DC, 20 some years ago in Atlanta, i saw a car off the side of the highway, i knew the young woman was a df'ed sister. i stopped to see what was wrong. Poor girl with a 6 month old baby, she was setting in the hot sun crying! I ask what was wrong with the car, she said it just died. i spent thirty minutes working on it, and got it running. She told me, that one of the elders was behind her when the car died, and they he passed her, and gave her the most evil look she had ever seen!! And they a number of others had went to the other side of the road, so as not to even get close to her.

I have helpped other Df'ed people along the way as well, but her's was the one that has always made me MAD!!!!!!!

Dwain

• jam
    jam

The last time that I attened the meeting. I had been away

from the area a long time, so many didn't know who I was.

So I went to a KH that was new(It's closed now) in the area.

I knew most of the elders but very few of the RF. I sat in

the back rows. The closing song, I didn't have a song book so

a young sister moved over to share her song book.

This elder I new well the worst elder I have ever known,

runs over and yank the song book out of her hand and motion for

her to move away. Folks on the back rows look and wondering what's all

the commotion about. The expression on the sister face and others, WTH.

Did we let Satan in the KH...

I have mention this elder before, his daughter ended up dancing around a pole

and I don't mean a flag pole...

• steve2
    steve2

Oublliete, you make a damn powerful point which in the main I would not disagree with. Yet, I would not want to cast disfellowshipped individuals as invariably victims either.

I spoke to a disfellowshipped sister once - and she literally turned on me, accusing me of being worse than her for all the trouble I had caused. She then turned and left me for dead. Once bitten, twice shy. There's no accounting sometimes for people's reactions to well-intentioned overtures.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit