Smiling at a Disfellowshipped JW instead of Completely Ignoring him

by ProfCNJ 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ProfCNJ
    ProfCNJ

I was driving our car going to our assigned territory for our Sunday field minsitry (was with JW 2 sisters) when I saw a disfellowshipped JW riding his motorcycle heading towards us. The guy was DF'd around 2 months ago only (won't delve much on his case). Approximately about 10 meters, we saw him smile. Instead of frowning upon him or ignoring him completely as if we saw no one in front of us, a couple of us smiled at him too. Afterwards, I personally felt good (instead of feeling guilty) that I remembered Christ's teachings about love - loving your neighbor as yourself and the principle of Good Samaritan.

Has anyone experienced similar encounter that instead of shunning DF'd persons, you did the opposite? How was it like for you? :)

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I took a young woman that was df'd for being date raped in to my home for a couple of months years ago not long after I was married, my wife didn't mind either since she was her former roommate and friend. Unfortunately I don't think my wife would support the idea shes way too far gone now. I have not run into many in the last few years but would like to help them with ttatt so to try to remove their guilt..

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

I made it a point to smile and nod at df'd people at our Hall, it just seemed the human thing to do even when I was a full on believer. I know it's only a tiny thing but I'm glad now that I did.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

good for you guys. It is a big thing cos if enough people do it others follow and it becomes the most natural thing in the world.

There are so many young faders who are making the transition without being disfellowshipped and these ones need kindness too as they are facing loss of friends and family as well. Are there any re-entry (into ordinary normal social life) for faders and disfellowshipped ones around? I wish local government would head in this direction since so many young people need this sort of program to get out of extremism successfully (also thinking of young jihadists)

• HeyThere
    HeyThere

When my in-laws came to visit, I sat by, talked to, and walked out with her making sure everyone saw my supportive hand on her elbow and the smile on my face. I think shunning is awful stuff. This woman, a raised in dub, is still a full believer, although she is the one who was appalled when I shared with her why I was not feeling the dub life. She was wrongly disfellowshipped in the first place, which pissed me off. I would never not speak with someone or treat them as less than a person because of what some men decided to say. In my humble opinion, the disgusting questions they asked her at her jc should get them all disfellowshipped as they really crossed the line. Why do they think it is appropriate to ask such perverted questions? That aren't even in question for the df offenses. Without saying too much, she went to them for help with an addiction. It turned into "let's talk about sex..."weird. Very, very weird. And creepy. If any "brother" ever asks me a question even close to what she was asked, they will be embarrassed very quickly. The fact that women subject themselves to this and feel it is following God just floors me.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Said hello and how are you to a DF'ed person I saw at Twickenham. Used to say hi to guy who was coming back to meetings as well.

• Jaidubdub
    Jaidubdub

I always said a hello or smiled to any d'fed ones I knew and never removed any d'fed friends frm fb when I was active. I could never understand back then why we treated d'fed ones so cruelly when we were supposed to be such a loving religion. I also recently connected with my d'fed sister. I never shunned her but it's amazing how talking about TTAT can bring u closer together. My hairdresser is also d'fed - it's amazing how many jw's still go to her...

• ProfCNJ
    ProfCNJ

Good morning folks. Refreshing to see your experiences. I hope more brothers would go beyond or see through the official WT stand vs. DF'd and apply the fruits of the holy spirit (Gal. 5:22, 23) whenever possible. :)

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I had a

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Df sister, a recent former house mate, appear on my door step in her swimmers all cold and distressed because she has just tried to drown herself in her pool. What would have been the proper jw response? Whatever it is, I brought her in and by helped her. I was 24, trying to deal with a suicide attempt. I didn't know what to do so I just let her talk and tried to comfort her. What else can you do? A fellow human creature is hurting. Likewise I would say hi or smile at a df person if it was someone I knew.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit