Do Witnesses still go door-to-door??

by MsShockJock 19 Replies latest jw friends

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I've seen them maybe two or three times tops in 10+ years. One was for a memorial invitation in 2013

• Beautiful Dreamer
  • steve2
    steve2

Yes they do - but no where near the frequency or intensity of earlier decades. Another observation concerns the "make up" of those who door-to-door: There are conspicuously few adolescents - which is in marked contrast to the large numbers of young ones you'd see out witnessing in the late 60s to early 1970s. We would descend upon the territory en masse - especially during tract campaigns. There was a time when my local congregation would be covering the full territory several times a year and we'd know from householders tired comments that we really were over-doing it.

You simply do not see this frequency and intensity anymore!

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

Of course the JW teens are mortified to be seen knocking on doors. What if one of their non-JW schoolmates answered the door ??? Talk about the ultimate in humiliation. They'd feel like a first-rate fool the next day in school. Hopefully more and more teens will decide going door to door isn't worth the abject horror of being exposed as a JW at school. Everyone already knows that JW kids are strange and weird, right?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Despite my knowing TTATT, it saddens me to see friends whom I know to be excellent evangelizers reduced to palming off a tract and saying, 'Please read this. It will answer your questions about the Bible.'

Similarly, preaching JW.ORG on social media cheapens the whole enchilada, in a manner of speaking.

I believe I'll have a beer with my enchilada . . .

CC

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Funny you should ask this today.

This afternoon I saw a local JW whom I've known for 30+ years. One of the first words out of her mouth were that this past weekend she did d2d work in our old apartment complex.

Then this evening, my JW sister who lives on the east coast said that she plans to spend at least one morning in service with a local cong while we are on vacation next weekend.

So, as far as my little JW-world is concerned... Yes. They still engage in the door-to-door work.

*sigh*

I'm just so happy that I don't feel obligated to join them. And I don't feel guilty for being happy either.

-Aude.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Living out in the country we have had only 2 visits in the last year and both times we was at work. First visit they left a tract for the memorial and just last week a tract for JW.org. As things go around here that should be it for another year or two. In the last three years that has been 3 visits. Still Totally ADD

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The diehards still knock on a few doors between their breaks at McDonalds and Starbucks.

Doc

• JeffT
    JeffT

I've lived at my current location (condo in the suburbs) for seven years. I've never talked to them at the door, somebody left a tract in the door four or five years ago, I can't remember if it was JW's, Mormons, or somebody else.

• MsShockJock
    MsShockJock

Where I came from they started going out to actual sit down restaurants ordering up big breakfasts. After an hour and a half at the restaurant people would just call it a morning and head home. It's all just busywork anyway, designed to keep them occupied.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit