Have your prayers changed?

by eyeslice 24 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

This is a sort of follow up to "Jesus- Ignored, Forgotten & Unemployed at WTS" posted by metatron.

It strikes me, that since I have re-appraised many of my religious views that my prayers have changed significantly. And whilst I am still an active JW, I have wondered whether my family has noticed, though they have not said anything so far.

JW’s prayers are not only very stereotyped (despite what Jesus admonition about not using the same words, or by extension the same thoughts, over and over again) but also extremely introverted towards the Watchtower society.

For example, a typical congregation prayer will include the following thoughts;

1. bless our congregation
    2. bless our elders
    3. bless our pioneers
    4. bless the fd&s that they may give us the right food at the proper time
    5. bless the witnessing work in our territory and world wide
    6. (if your are lucky) bless less fortunate brothers

What you never get in either family or congregation prayers, and therefore I guess also in personal prayers from the average JW, are thoughts like these;

1. grant everyone in the world regardless of race, colour or religion, at least the absolute bare necessities for each day – they are all your children and Jesus loves them

2. bless the poor of world with hope and a glimpse of you Lord even if it is through non-Christian religions, Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists.

3. bless the victims and families of Sept 11th , give them the hope and courage to carry on (tricky one this for the average JW congregation prayer – if I got up and expressed my true feelings publicly in prayer, I would be in big trouble; after all events like these are to be expected in the ‘last days’)

4. bless all those in Africa and Asia who are dying of Aids - Jesus would have been there to hold their hands (another tricky one – typical JW view “surely people’s life styles mean they contact Aids”, forgetting about the totally innocent victims such as children and wives, or even the fact poverty and promiscuity such as in Africa seem to go hand in hand).

5. bless the victims of physical violence and sexual abuse

6. help the perpetrators of family violence and sexual abuse to break the circle of abuse – abusers almost invariably where abused as youngsters themselves

7. help us to imitate Jesus in being totally non-judgmental of the shortcomings of others

8. bless the efforts of aid workers in Africa and Asia

9. bless people on both sides in the middle east, both Jews and Palestinians – they people, families, communities just like we are – as we would suffer, they are suffering today.

10. bless those who work for peace in the world, whether they be politicians, UN organizations or the man in the street – surely anything that relieves suffering must be good

• Introspection
    Introspection

Hi Eye,

In reading your post I was reminded of being told that you should pray for specific things while I was a JW, but I don't think that's the point. To me, it makes no difference if you're praying about something general or specific, but the key element is intention. Not having intention is like saying things you don't mean, and at that point it's only words floating around in your head. Of course, when that happens you'll either have an extremely generic prayer or on rare occasions something bizarre like the one Adam Sandler said in Meet the Parents, because then you're just trying to sound interesting.

I would say that it is more important to have intention than to even pray. Regardless of whether you believe in God, or what kind of God you believe in and so on, the intention speaks for itself. Nobody prays for nice things but direct it toward an evil god of some kind, it just doesn't make sense. I doubt that God is there holding a grudge because you didn't say his name. That's something only someone very insecure would do. Again even if you don't say "in Jesus name", would God really go "talk to the hand 'cuz Daddy ain't listen'in"?

• Bang
    Bang

despite what Jesus admonition about not using the same words, or by extension the same thoughts, over and over again

Where is that written?

Bang

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Bang,

Matthew 6:7 And when you pray, do not heap up phrases (multiply words, repeating the same ones over and over) as the Gentiles do, for they think they will be heard for their much speaking (Amplified Bible)

Eyeslice

• david_10
    david_10

Yep. They've stopped altogether.

David

• Bang
    Bang

"...do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do.."

different bible

Bang

• Sirona
    Sirona

My prayers have changed. I don't pray to Jehovah or Jesus, I pray to the Goddess. IMO God (who I think doesnt have gender) wouldn't mind if we choose to see a female God when praying. I believe that masculine and feminine are aspects of what God is anyway.

My prayers are usually giving thanks, or for family, help for those suffering, strength for myself.

Sirona

• Matty
    Matty

Prayers are very difficult for me now. The prayers I say at the meetings are just the usual spiel - but personal prayers are a different matter now.

It's now like "I don't know who you are anymore God… where are you, who are you - am I just talking to myself?!" I feel very egocentric now and I now want God to do his duty.

If he is the God of the bible, than I don't really want to know him - he doesn't seem to be the sort of person I would want to talk to, or call my friend to be quite honest. He might have been Abraham’s pal, but what kind of friend would intimidate you into attempting to kill your own son, just to prove your allegiance? Why should I grovel and thank him for this lousy world that he created and has allowed to continue, and the abysmal life I've had? As far as I can see he just did this all for a bet. Jesus didn't need to sacrifice himself - what was the point of it?

Well, then after getting all those feelings I then start feeling really guilty for being so selfish and I then apologize to God - and promise to be a good little witness and mend my ways.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hi All,

Has anyone seen a mountain moved into the sea by prayer yet???

Ken P.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Yes.

Much like Matty
    (except for the 'guilty' & 'good little witness' part).

Two main differences in my prayers now:

1 - Now I pray oh, once or twice a year rather than 'hourly'.
    2 - Now I say God, or is it Gawd, rather than Jehovah.

A few things that havn't really changed:

1 - I pray when I want to.
    2 - I pray in my head (silently).
    3 - I say "if you are out there"
    and "if you are hearing me"
    or "whoever's listening".

SPAZ

edited formatting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit