evolution

by venting 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Magnum
    Magnum

cantleave, thanks for bumping that; I want to read through all of it. I think I was lurking then, but missed a lot of stuff.

• cofty
    cofty

LisaRose - Good stuff. If you do some research on the evolution of limbs in general you will find it very interesting.

The range of creatures from lobe-finned fish to birds that share the same basic body plan is amazing. We all have variations of big bone (femor/humerous) - two smaller bones (radius & ulna/ tibia & fibula) - lots of little bones (metacarpels/metatarsals) - digits.

The progressive evolution from fins to legs is one of the best preserved processes in the fossil record.

• Magnum
    Magnum

LisaRose - Good stuff

I agree. I really want to learn more about that and what Cofty mentioned.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

Agreed ... when I found out Genesis was copied from Gilgemesh in places I check around to see if there was 100% proof of evolution... ERVS DONE!..

• venting
    venting

There are some excelent lectures about evolution on you tube. Potholer54 has some funny ones. Those of you who are afraid to read up on this stuff don't have to worry. It won't take away your warm and fuzzy. You can belive in evolution and still belive in god. venting.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

If you want a good laugh, and wish to gawp in amazement at the useless arguments against Evolution, simply go to JW.Org and read their article.

If ,on the other hand you wish to find solid information based on facts and good research, follow Cantleave's link (above) to his excellent Thread.

If Cantleave or anyone else in the area wants a laugh then a visit here is called for : (from The Guardian web site).

" Britain's creation museum, Genesis Expo, is housed in a former bank next to the bus station on the harbour front in Portsmouth. It does not appear to have any connection with Hollywood, and is an animatronic-free zone. The sign stretching across the front of the building is peeling, an elderly volunteer from a local church is manning the front desk, and the museum is only slowly converting its stock of creationist videos to DVD. The upside is that Genesis Expo is free to enter."

• cantleave
    cantleave

Ha Ha - that "museum" is just down the road from me.

• venting
    venting

My wife is doing a good job pounding the doctrines into my youngest child. You can no longer watch Tinkerbell because many of the very spirirtual sisters say its rooted in the devil. When my kid studies evolution in school this will be a challange to keep the peace. venting.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Dear venting, you have a tight-rope to walk, and falling off could mean your child's mind is forever closed.

I would recommend majoring mainly on teaching your child to "think critically", to question everthing thoroughly. There are books on how to do this, and your wife cannot object, all you are doing is teaching your child the best way to learn, and how to NOT learn untruth.

Never give your wife the chance to say you are teaching what she perceives as untruths, simply teach how to examine all arguments, and how to evaluate the evidence for those arguments.

A good illustration to use to a young child for this process is to say that it is like a Detective seeking the answer to a crime, he looks at all possibilities, all the arguments for and against evidence, and certainly views all the evidence. It is the only way to get near the truth.

Perhaps someone he loves tells him something is true about the Case, even so he will examine all aspects to see if this is so....... etc etc

Good luck !

• venting
    venting

Thanks Phizzy. Thats good advice. When I was taught evolution for the first time in school my teacher didn't belive it. He must have been a creationist. There is so much more evidence now. venting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit