What did you do with old WT/Awake magazines?

by naazira 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" From what I read on this site, the "Truth" as I knew it has greatly changed!"

As Terry points out on one of his threads, there is hardly a year that it has not changed !

That is why you should never let any JW get away with asking if you "will come back", you, and I , and anyone who has been gone for longer than 5 minutes has never been a member of the religion that it is today, or will be tomorrow, we would have to be convinced they have the truth now.

When I was actually in and active and a pile of old mags built up, Mrs Phizzy used to try to make me feel guilty for dumping them in the garbage, but I only felt the slightest twinge, more about the waste of paper than anything.

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

Yes, good point Phizzy. No one asks me that since my mom and dad passed away. I think they always held out hope their little girl would come back. Well, if anyone asks me that now, I could say, "come back to what, the "truth" from 30 years ago, or the "truth" as you are told today! The truth that kept me from college and all of you from planning for your retirement that is staring you in the face now??

I just remembered, one elderly brother that was extremely frugal would roll the magazines up and soak them in water, I think, let them dry and use them in his woodburner. I think people do that with old newspapers?

• Stealth
    Stealth

I threw all of my bound volumes in the dumpster where they belong.

I tried to use the old WT magazines to start camp fires but when I did, you could hear a loud demonic screem from them "Noooooooooooo!".

• naazira
    naazira

Hahaha @stealth I thought only Ouija boards screamed when being burned. That's so true- if you are gone more than 5 minutes. I was gone once for 5 months and came back to a lot of new teachings. I guess that's what happens when one doesn't keep pace with Jehovah's organization lol Gotta keep up with this darn chariot.

• factfinder
    factfinder

When I was a witness I would leave older issues in the doors of not at homes, especially when we did the few rural areas which were not worked as much. Yes, some ended up in a laundromat, and in hospital lobbies.

I decreased my order when I was not going out in fs as much anymore.

I kept all the issues while I was a witness, but when I discovered the tatt I threw away some older ones. But I wish I had held on to those issues, they were from 1976 and 1977 and are kind of nostalgic to me.

Otherwise, I still have them all down the basement, as well as all of the books. Older damaged books I threw away but have better copies.

I gave away a few older books which I came to regret : Paradise Lost To Paradise Regained, Qualified to Be Mnisters, Your Lamp is a Light to my Foot and the NWT that was released at the 1958 IC which was cover stamped.

When this house is sold I'll have nowhere to go so I have no idea where the literature will end up. I suppose loose copies will be thrown out and I don;t know if I should offer my books to the cong seeing that I know they are a controlling cult. I wish I could get them to a store that buys older books.

Phizzy- that is such a good point you brought out- return to what? Yes, the jw religion now is totally different than it was when I started. Years ago when I was still attending meetings I was mentioning to an elder how much I enjoyed the Truth book. He mentioned of course that it is "old light". I suggested I would study it with someone, since that is the book the witnesses used in my BS. He told me I cannot do that! I told him I have several new copies. The elder said we don't use that book any more for a reason, we have "new light", So I asked him if I was taught lies when they studied with me in the Truth book? This went into a circle about old & new truths. He said we are not allowed to use the Truth book anymore.I was disgusted.

Just about everything in the jw religion has changed a great deal since 1976, it is NOT the same religion.

SafeatHome- good points too! return to the "truth" I was taught, or the ever changing new "truth" taught today which will be gone and replaced soon with another "truth" soon?

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

I did and still do recycle them. I had an aunt that would use them on the bottom of her parakeet's cage.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

Threw everything away a couple of years ago when I moved. I didn't want to touch any of it.

I somewhat regret not keeping a couple of items for my blogging/writing.

• jgnat
    jgnat

National Geographic

Huibby would keep the magazines, put them in the cases, AND get the bound volume. Those plastic cases sort of reminded me of the National Geographic cases. But NG is prettier.

I cured hubby of that when we moved.

• jgnat
    jgnat

FurnitureMake furniture.

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

Ah yes, the little blue Truth book. Wasn't that the one that was so wonderful and concise in it's teachings that we were to study with someone for 6 months, and if they did not commit after studying that little gem, we were to discontinue the study? Do they not understand the absurd irony in this? That little book of changed teachings is not even allowed anymore, yet not so long ago people were being judged on the basis of whether they accepted what was taught from it? God, I want to scream at my relatives and slap them (like Cher in Moonstruck) and say SNAP OUT OF IT!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit