What did you do with old WT/Awake magazines?

by naazira 26 Replies latest jw friends

• naazira
    naazira

When you were a witness, what did you do with your old watchtower (public/ study versions) and awake magazines? I know for some throwing away a magazine is comparable to burning a Quran.

I Never threw them out! In fact, I still have a large stack, because I like to look at the pictures and draw over them.

• Prefect
    Prefect

Boxes of magazines stacked in the loft. And old books.

I hate throwing away any type of book.

Prefect

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

I kept them for years, yes the Quran. Finally, I threw them out for the garbage man to pick up.

• naazira
    naazira

I have seen old magiznes and publications donated to and sold by second hand stores.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I would gather them up periodically and chuck them in the paper recycling. When I left I burned them rather than put them in the recycling bin lest the paper sorters got harmed by that rubbish.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Yea, burned mine, some years ago now, to for the same reason Julia, along with certain books and all my Bound Volumes, I had a collection of them going back to the early 1950's !

Upon reflection they may actually have been of some use to an XJW.

But I needed to do it for my own peace of mind, and to free up some needed Book Shelf space for worthy volumes such as C.O.C by Ray Franz, various books by Richard Dawkins, works on Philosophy and many on the Bible and religion that the WT would hate to see on anybody's shelves !

The buggers must be demonized though, had to use some petrol to get them really burning !

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

I would save the older ones to leave in doors where no one was home, inconspicuously of course! After all they counted as placements. But that still left a pile at the end of the year. When I received the bound volumes, then I would clear out the ones for that year.

Reopened Mind

• Mandette
    Mandette

My old bound volumes made a wonderful sound when tossed into the garbage bin.....

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

I always felt guilty when mags piled up so I decreased my order. When they still piled up I decreased it again to only have one set of each to place. I figured if I needed more I could borrow them from someone else. I hardly ever had to LOL I only kept one issue of each mag until the bound vol came out. The rest went into the trash each month.

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

Back in the day, I would keep a copy of each magazine throughout the year then throw them out when the bound volume would come out. I had the bound volumes from 1972-1984 (the years I was married to a JW). When I was no longer attending and moved into my new home, I asked my parents if they knew anyone who would want them. My elder dad knew of several families in his congregation who were poor and would appreciate having them, so he took them. I didn't have to worry about throwing them out.

I have kept only a few of the books, an outdated songbook, "Aid to Bible Understanding", "Jehovah's Witnesses in the Divine Purpose", "All Scripture is Inspired of God and Beneficial", and my old green Bible. Geez, why did that chose that awful color for a Bible??? I kept those books thinking if I ever needed a good Bible reference I would have it. Knowing what I do now, I wouldn't rely on those books for any accuracy at all.

And P.S. Back when I was a Witness, there was only ONE version of the Watchtower, at least have to give that to them. From what I read on this site, the "Truth" as I knew it has greatly changed!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit