KM Oct 2014 - Homosexuality (week of Oct 13th)

by Splash 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Splash
    Splash

It would be interesting to have some present (Stonewall?) at these meetings to witness and record talk number three on the TMS.

Talk 3 - "What the Bible says about homosexuality" (Reasoning Book p.368-369)

The Reasoning book tells us in part:
    "True Christians know that even deeply rooted wrong desires, including those that may have a genetic basis or that involve physical causes or environmental factors, are not insurmountable for persons who truly want to please Jehovah... Likewise, a person may feel strongly attracted to others of the same sex, but by heeding the counsel of God’s Word he can remain clean from homosexual practices. Jehovah does not allow us to go on thinking that wrong conduct really makes no difference; he kindly but firmly warns us of the consequences..."

"Those who apply this counsel safeguard themselves against the deep emotional scars and loathsome diseases that go with immoral conduct. The Bible’s counsel is very much up to date in meeting the needs of those who want a clean conscience before God and a life free from needless frustration."

I bet the students giving this talk will do their best to speak of it in a hateful way, maybe even an illegal way.

I can see that one day some speaker will really land in deep water for publicly extolling the WT view of homosexuality. If this ever happens, the resulting turmoil for the speaker and the way he would be left to fight his own corner would surely make others see how vulnerable they are when giving public talks.

Splash

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

Its the young brothers who are fighting their coming out and assigned this discussion I hurt for. Yes I have seen Elders assign such talks to those who they suspect of having these desires.

• 88JM
    88JM

They'll probably try to skirt it by trotting out the old line about "hating the sin, but love the sinner" - I think that probably is about as close to the edge of legality without being identifiable hate speech? (although it really is)

• Trapped in JW land
    Trapped in JW land

Ugh. There goes the WBTS spewing hate against homosexuality again. Being gay is so immoral right? But a God who (according to JW's) is going to destroy more than half the world's population (including children) is moral? Anyone see the sense in that?

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

What does the bible say about homosexuality? Not that much, actually. What does the Watchtower say about homosexuality? TONS.

Here's the main problem with the gay issue: If you are a straight person, avoiding homosexual thoughts is the EASIEST sin in the bible to avoid. Every other sin that is universally difficult in the bible either is declared not applicable (shrimp, lobster, stoning), a difference of culture (women covering their heads when entering a place of worship), or up for gradient interpretation (straight but "natural" fornication verses "unnatural" homosexuality).

Straight people don't have to worry about gay feelings AT ALL. So this is the easiest rule in the entire bible. Just by waking up in the morning they are a better Christian than every gay person on the planet. If every straight person had to struggle with complete abstinence and celibacy for their entire lives, I'm sure the gay rule would be out of the bible like slavery, polygamy, wearing mixed fabrics.

Universal struggles are not "sins." The plight of the minority is.

• Quendi
    Quendi

When my judicial committee brought up 1 Corinthians 6:9, 10 during one of our meetings, I turned the tables on them. I pointed out that since drunkards were also mentioned in the passage, did this mean that those who struggled with alcohol abuse in the past could now drink a goblet of wine and not suffer any relapse or other ill effects. The anger that eruped from the elders was priceless. They couldn't deny that an alcoholic had to remain on the wagon and could not go back to drinking with impunity. I followed through by saying, "But if the person has been 'washed clean' why can't he drink again?" The committee then abruptly ended that session. Their actions said it all. Clearly, the WTS take on 1 Corinthians 6:9, 10 does not match reality, but then, neither does anything else the organization says about homosexuality.

Quendi

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

I am sure most JW's will handle it exactly like they have for more than 100 years. Quendi and Backseat Devil you both made some good points.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

Given the CONSTANT anti-gay drumbeat from the Organization, there must be some higher-ups who are fighting and supressing their own same-sex attractions. To an emotionally and sexually secure straight person, gays aren't a big concern. It's only when a person has 'personal issues and insecurities' regarding their own sexuality that they obsessively concern themselves with 'hating' homosexuality. Tony The Turd comes to mind as one GB member who seems to really make a big bugaboo of gay people. Tony: Is there something you're not telling us?????

• smiddy
    smiddy

This is a talk given to a congregation with young children present who have never before heard of homosexuals , and what it entails , and this is their introduction to it.

Nice one governing body.

Its typical that young ones rebel against parents and older people experimenting with what is forbidden to them , maybe the G.B. is inadvertantly laying the groundwork for an influx of homosexuals in years to come.

smiddy

• granada35
    granada35

In one way, too Bad that i just completed my 9 month fade from this "spiritual paradise" and no longer attend meetings. As a gay "brother" myself, I would have asked the school overseer to give this talk and then try to bring at least one person in the audience into the 21 century (intellectually speaking) by reasoning with them on this subject. My guess would be that the brother in the sound department would just turn off the sound...I sure am glad to be out but feel very sorry for any gay member in the congregation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit