Today's public talk: shameless indoctrination

by OneEyedJoe 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

You're absolutely right. I guess writing up my thoughts on the "parroted s***" is my way of cleaning it off.

• prologos
    prologos

Unique illustration in one Public Talk today:

"The Kingdom Pill"

" Trying to get into 'Paradise' , the Kingdom, is like taking a prescription. Take your pills until all are done. There will be no effect until you take them all."

So: The Kingdom pill, keep taking them for results.

No kidding.

is this not a brillant illustration of the sick situation JWs are in?

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

OneEyedJoe

When I used the word "you" in my last sentence it wasn't personal. What I was trying to stress is what else are the JW speakers capable of except parroted GB s***.

Apologies if it sounded otherwise.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Why are all your posts in double spacing Finkelstein? makes them kinda hard to read.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

No worries, Hairtrigger. You'd really have to make an effort to offend me. Plus, I really do feel dirty when I leave that place.

You're right though, it's quite amazing how classic indoctrination techniques can be passed on implicitly to the indoctrinated. I've known the speaker for a while, and he's a genuinely nice guy so I can't even ascribe evil intentions to him. At the same time, though, he could hardly have come up with a more effective attempt at phobia indoctrination to make everyone afraid of stepping out of line. I mean seriously, he equated (and, I might add, fairly convincingly if you don't know what he's doing) any action that was even a little outside the lines (i.e. listening to one song to see what all the fuss was about) to stepping outside a shelter into a tornado - i.e. certain death. Asking people to imagine dying, then asserting that would be the result of any "curiosity" about the world. Absolutely disgusting, and yet said by a genuinely friendly, kind man.

I don't know what goes on at those elder's schools, but I assume they don't explicitly teach the elders to use phobia indocrtination, so I guess they just subconsciously know what methods were used to indoctrinate them and they parrot it out, like you say. It's just crazy to see it in action like that. I guess that's just one more indirect way cults can control people, because if you don't watch it in action knowing what's goign on, it seems absolutely insane that those indoctrinated into the cult would just sort of stumble on the ideal indoctrination methods.

• clarity
    clarity

Well written post Joe, thank you.

You're right, when you know the speaker

is a great guy & normally logical ..... it is

all the more disturbing to hear garbage

coming out of them.

All that indoctrination just winds them up even

tighter, into a ball of pure BS, that affects

everything in their lives.

Everything now becomes tainted with it!

Ha ha .. looking at life through brown splattered

glasses!

The day those glasses came off my eyes was the

BEST!

You will know when you have reached your

limit.

best wishes

clarity

• wolfman85
    wolfman85

He closes with some strong phobia indoctrination. He asks us to imagine (a common technique used to bypass critical thinking) being in a storm cellar while an EF-5 tornado rages outside. He asks, "are you tempted to open the hatch and peak outside to see if it's really as dangerous as you're told?" My thought was that of I was born in the cellar, and never heard any wind raging outside, yeah I might be tempted to look out. Not to see if the storm was as dangerous as I was told, but to see if it even existed. You probably know where he was going - we're safe in "the organization" and shouldn't be tempted by anything in the world, no matter how innocent it may seem.

This reminds me the movie The Village (2004).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit